time for a preppers section?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
'tis true, when I was an Emergency Planning Advisor we had a huge problem. Up to a certain point the emergency services, with the army if necessary, and the army of volunteers that appear, any disaster can be dealt with. If these fail or are overwhelmed or cannot respond because of radiation, for example, then we are in deep doo doos. The best thing to do then is to work on the margins of survival. A little extra water etc could make a difference.

I was amazed when I read up on the subject how some people seem to walk through disasters. An account of a survivor of the Great Kanto Earthquake in Japan illustrates this. He apparently sauntered down towards the bridge where many perished in a fire then walked away passing the scene where more were to die and so on. Almost like a Buster Keaton film with the front of a building falling on him but an open window just happens to coincide with where he was standing.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
A very often overlooked item for preppers!

12227176_1682591752027587_1390166709579985601_n.jpg

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Errr -

No electrickery = no sewage pumped = backed-up drains PDQ . And who's going to waist water flushing (if they have it!) anyway?

I recently 'enjoyed' the experience of an outdoor Swedish compost loo - could be the way to go?

scarfell

Forager
Oct 4, 2016
south east
Errr -

No electrickery = no sewage pumped = backed-up drains PDQ . And who's going to waist water flushing (if they have it!) anyway?

I recently 'enjoyed' the experience of an outdoor Swedish compost loo - could be the way to go?

It would go into overflows and into rivers and the sea, i would expect people to continue using toilets for a long time tbh, flushing with a bucket; esp in cities where most people dont have the option of a compost toilet

Drought is a possibility, but i dont think its very likley in the uk really (possible though, who knows what will happen to our changable climate)

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up Scarfell,

I agree that people would continue to keep using toilets - but no electrickery = no sewage pumped and = no water pumped into houses. (Most houses have combi boilers and therefore no back-up h20 in cold or hot water tanks).

Granted there might be authority distributed H20 (until the bowsers get nicked again or the greedy take more than their fair share - again!) but the chances are that there would be a lot less H20 going down the drains than usual, so does the sewage even get to the sewage farm? And if it does how does it get from there to the sea?

On a different but associated aspect - a local coal merchant told me yesterday that soon the only place that he will be able get his supplies from is Scotland.

There is little doubt that domestic resilience to a Denial Of Services event (utilities not social media!) in the UK is nowhere near what it used to be when I were a lad:lmao:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
When I was a kid we always kept enough water (when prepping for outages) to pour a bucketful into the toilet to flush if needed. Pumping sewage wasn't an issue as we had our own septic tank. Most of the males just went in the woods until the water was restored. The situation's a lot different if you live in town though.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
With a certain person in charge of one of the Worlds biggest Nuclear arsenals I'm just going to give this thread a small bump.

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up,

That made me laugh TeeDee :D- but you mean that it wasn't worth a bump with Putin invading Ukraine; North Korea testing missiles; Iran testing missiles; China copying the Japanese in WW2 etc?

I hear that Derbyshire is a nuclear free zone - might be time to move? :lmao:

NoName

Settler
Apr 9, 2012
well lets say the earth got 100-1000 years (till destruction), even back up by scientists if we dont change....
but prepping is not going to save us from this / these serious bad situation(s)
so I say no, no prepping section, but we CAN have a section of how to be a better man on this earth! But, not forgetting we all can become better beings, I dont think there is very much gain to make on this lovely forum (judging the nice people)
But maybe we can have a Perennial Philosophy section by devouted Bushcrafters ;) ( Christian, Buddhist, Hinduist, Sufi etc) etc section overhere explaining the true self (ps nice read is the Perennial Philosophy by Aldous Huxley)

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
well lets say the earth got 100-1000 years (till destruction), even back up by scientists if we dont change....
but prepping is not going to save us from this / these serious bad situation(s)
so I say no, no prepping section, but we CAN have a section of how to be a better man on this earth! But, not forgetting we all can become better beings, I dont think there is very much gain to make on this lovely forum (judging the nice people)
But maybe we can have a Perennial Philosophy section by devouted Bushcrafters ;) ( Christian, Buddhist, Hinduist, Sufi etc) etc section overhere explaining the true self (ps nice read is the Perennial Philosophy by Aldous Huxley)

How awful and fortunately not allowed.

NoName

Settler
Apr 9, 2012
@boatman
The behaviour and ethics of most man is awful. We simply just have to referr to the news.
Some people just want really to change nothing and keep moving along the same groove, a dead alley the blind leading the blind.
Well I guess that is awefull.
God bless us all! Back to Godhead and we will be safe.
Peace upon us!

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Cannot reply as I would like to Mors, and stay within the rules. Try getting over yourself

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
@boatman
The behaviour and ethics of most man is awful. We simply just have to referr to the news.
Some people just want really to change nothing and keep moving along the same groove, a dead alley the blind leading the blind.
Well I guess that is awefull.
God bless us all! Back to Godhead and we will be safe.
Peace upon us!

and some people want to switch on to a bushcraft forum and learn about bushcraft not other people agendas

this place doesn't do politics or religion for very good reason

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE