time for a preppers section?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
I have enough shelf stable food in the house for around 6 days (based on 5 people). And enough water etc.. for about 2-3. I remember years ago when the water apparently had some kind of containment in it and houses were told to stock up. My mother cleaned the bath and filled that, as well as the sink. That lasted us a week of drinking water.

Interesting game and info here;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/taster/projects/how-to-survive-a-nuclear-bomb

Tonyuk

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
its pretty rare for people to use gas cylinders like that on thier houses over here. Maybe the odd isolated house....larger 'bulk' gas tanks are more common (esp in industrial settings) but still far, far outnumbered by people on mains gas

Depends on where you are. Down here we don't have mains gas in the area so loads of houses have bottled gas, plenty of shops sell it and you always see delivery lorries with it and that's in built up areas.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Depends on where you are. Down here we don't have mains gas in the area so loads of houses have bottled gas, plenty of shops sell it and you always see delivery lorries with it and that's in built up areas.

Oh aye, it does happen....but i was meaning more country wide percentage of people on mains gas/bulk tank/LPG cylinders/all electric/oil/wood.....LPG pretty rare

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Oh aye, it does happen....but i was meaning more country wide percentage of people on mains gas/bulk tank/LPG cylinders/all electric/oil/wood.....LPG pretty rare

I was surprised how much bottled gas there is when I moved down here though. And if you factor in the amount of bottled gas for gas BBQs, roofers etc I expect there's still a large amount of bottled gas about the country.

Doesn't affect me though as we cut all our own firewood and have our own water supply, grow a fair bit of our own food and have our own bees for our own sugar. I wouldn't say I'm a prepper though, just living sensibly.

scarfell

Forager
Oct 4, 2016
south east
One thing i'd like is a spring/water source, eventually i'm going to buy some land with woodland, and hopefully a spring or well, hopefully before WWIII lol

With wood and water, and enough acreage for a supply of deer and rabbits, and i can pitch my tipi (and solar panels, being a geek i cant go totally native) and give up on concrete forever ...well at least until the council comes along and demands i demolish it :lmao:

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Can you out-gun the pirates who will be on you both day and night?
Any lessons to be learned from your castles being attacked in your history?

SGL70

Dec 1, 2014
Luleå, Sweden
My very limited experience of prepper forums isn't any good. Perhaps i have been unlucky. Both of them were in general more positive towards hoarding/hiding/hermit behaviour and very little of the stuff that historically has been helpful.

Also, the focus on guns!! C'mon....and I like guns (as much as you can like a tool) and have a few for hunting (shot gun and 8 mm rifle)...but these guys downplayed that kind of guns, in favor of assault rifles, heavy machine guns, pill boxes etc....

The list could be much longer...

As I said, I might have been unlucky or too unpatient to find the nuggets of gold (info/knowledge imo) that are sure to be found there. In such a case, my description is unfair.

"Prepper forums" is not for me, even if I am a bit interested in having som level of preparedness

Anyway, to each his own...
Greger

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
My very limited experience of prepper forums isn't any good. Perhaps i have been unlucky. Both of them were in general more positive towards hoarding/hiding/hermit behaviour and very little of the stuff that historically has been helpful.

Also, the focus on guns!! C'mon....and I like guns (as much as you can like a tool) and have a few for hunting (shot gun and 8 mm rifle)...but these guys downplayed that kind of guns, in favor of assault rifles, heavy machine guns, pill boxes etc....

The list could be much longer.......

A lot of truth to this. But that said, 8mm is a similar caliber to heavy machine gun calibers. Likewise the common military light calibers (5.56mm and 7.63 x 39mm) are more than adequate for most game you'd take in a survival situation. (jackrabbits to deer) and the guns are more than accurate enough and reliable enough for that task. Add to that ammo prices are cheap enough to stockpile them. All this when talking only about rifles/handguns. A good police shotgun is also the perfect deer gun in heavily wooded areas.

Last edited:

SGL70

Dec 1, 2014
Luleå, Sweden
True. My 8 x 57JS stems from the (German) army. The J in JS comes from Infanterie IIRC. My point is that, to make sense, there should be quite extensive discussion about hunting, field dressing animals, conservation of meat etc....but there isn't. Not that I have seen (As stated earlier - I have limited experience)

But I have seen more threads about tactics, defensive compounds (i e forts), body armour selection....to me, this is weird.

These threads isn't representative of all preppers, off course. Scary though. The threads doesn't even have to be representative of the forum they were posted on, but it was enough for me to leave and never come back...

Greger

Last edited:

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
There are certain aspects of prepping that I think are really interesting... other aspects not so much.

I've never liked to live anywhere without a backup plan just in case the power goes off, or the water is contaminated. We've got a log burner that heats the house and doubles as a make do cooker, water butts that are more often than not full, a good supply of seasoned timber, chickens and every couple of years we attempt a veggie patch (sometimes more successful than others). It's not going to see us through forever, but short term you could say we're 'prepped'.

Hate to say this, but the idea behind zombies has its roots in scientific fact. From rats to ants, there are zombie-inducing parasites already in existence, so however unlikely it might be that it mutates to infect humans, it is not quite as silly as it first appears. Not that I'm concerned, I reckon we'll have done a great job of destroying each other long before there is human mutations from the descendants of these parasites.

Herbalist1

Settler
Jun 24, 2011
North Yorks
There are already parasites that affect human behaviour to their own advantage - nothing new there, probably been happening for millions of years. Don't think we're going to start attacking and eating each other though.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Well you know what when the proverbial hits the fan, I reckon I shall lie low until all the preppers have mutually exterminated each other and enjoy the harvest.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
True. My 8 x 57JS stems from the (German) army. The J in JS comes from Infanterie IIRC. My point is that, to make sense, there should be quite extensive discussion about hunting, field dressing animals, conservation of meat etc....but there isn't. Not that I have seen (As stated earlier - I have limited experience)

But I have seen more threads about tactics, defensive compounds (i e forts), body armour selection....to me, this is weird.

These threads isn't representative of all preppers, off course. Scary though. The threads doesn't even have to be representative of the forum they were posted on, but it was enough for me to leave and never come back...

Greger

I understand what they're expecting: geopolitical/societal breakdown from whatever cause (war, revolt, whatever) I have two opinions about that: 1) It's possible but unlikely, and 2) Anybody surviving would need to come together as you and others have already suggested. Loner survival might be possible, but just barely, and certainly not especially any way we'd want to live long term. I tend to agree with you regarding those forums.

There are certain aspects of prepping that I think are really interesting... other aspects not so much.

I've never liked to live anywhere without a backup plan just in case the power goes off, or the water is contaminated. We've got a log burner that heats the house and doubles as a make do cooker, water butts that are more often than not full, a good supply of seasoned timber, chickens and every couple of years we attempt a veggie patch (sometimes more successful than others). It's not going to see us through forever, but short term you could say we're 'prepped'....

I think for most of us a short term interruption is the most likely event. I know it is for me as I've been through several due to hurricanes mentioned earlier and it seems from the comments on this and similar threads that some type weather interruption is the most likely for y'all as well.

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
I suspect that much of the 'prepper' stuff you find on the internet is aimed more at the 'end of civilisation' types than people who want to sensibly prepare for expected emergencies. There is certainly an ideological divide in the US, and you do have to wonder how so many got into their particular mindset.

Its not so cynical to think that for many, making money is a big concern. Fear sells, and selling overpriced goods to people that have been stoked up on myths is a good living. As this article http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2013/10/debt-ceiling-obama-fema-camp-infomercial points out, its worth $500m in the US alone, and once you've extracted $37 for a video which includes advice on 'How to make sure Urban Warfare never touches your family', they are on your mailing list (and whoever else you flog it to) for life. So overpriced gold, overpriced MRE's, 'decontamination kits', strange looking knives, etc are all potentially lucrative lines to offer to the worried.

Its certainly sensible to be prepared for emergencies - so some tinned food (and something to cook it on), drinking water, a small radio, torches/batteries, candles, duct tape and some plastic sheeting/tarp/rope and medical supplies are all good ideas. Even in the UK, we get floods and other extreme weather, and you just have to look at 1918 to see what flu can do to a modern society.

In the US, earthquake, flood, drought, very heavy snowfall/icefalls, hurricanes and tornado's are all possible hazards, so a kit is a good idea, and there are some examples here: http://www.motherjones.com/media/20...quake-disaster-preparedness-zombie-apocalypse . Some are very sensible, some are less so (the guy with the Tequila and phenobarbital had really simplifed his!), and some are just paranoid (the guy with the bullet proof vest, helmet and gas mask in his bag would seem to be a little out there!). Are they really prepping for a reasonably expected problem, or has it become a fetish?

For the UK, a basic kit of essentials would be fine, and carrying a small FAK, Swiss Army knife, some bottled water, painkillers and a power backup for your phone would be sensible. Frankly, thats what I carry when I'm on the tube (along with an A-Z), along with a book to kill time when there is a delay. But much more than that would wander into the world of fantasy, or dystopia.

Looking at one or two of the UK 'prepper' web stores, you do wonder if their market is a strange mixture of Rambo types, extreme sports fans (judging by the Go Pro cameras on offer), Howard Hughes-like germophobics (why do you need a biosuit?)and people who think that Shaun of the Dead might be a documentary. Scary stuff.

Biggest worry for most of us? Flooding has knocked out the mains for a day or two, and we can't get to the shops, nor can we get a decent wifi signal, nor can we watch Countryfile!

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Yeah. The official and semi official agencies here (FEMA, the Red Cross, and local agencies) used to teach you should stock for a 3 day interruption in case of realistic events. Now they teach for 5 days. That said, they advise against candles or anything to "cook" on. They're terrified of the prospect of accidental fires at a time when water mains are likely down. The things they advocate are:
-non perishable food that require no preparation (eat out of the can type stuff)
-battery powered lighting
-enough water for all family members and pets
-enough of all of your prescription meds to see you through.
-battery powered radio to receive news
-a full fuel tank in all your vehicles
-something to keep the kids occupied (games, toys, etc.)
-other supplies for kids if applicable (diapers, formula, etc. that don't depend on electricity)
-a non electric can opener (it's surprising how many people not only don't own one, but also have no idea how to use one)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE