Tilley lamp

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK
Found this old tilley lamp in the shed, father in law gave it to me ages ago, he said he had when he was in his 20s. Any idea how old this is and is it worth anything :) thanks guys

tu5esa8a.jpg

y7a8e8en.jpg

This dent is the only real mark on it

yny9y7uj.jpg

yperupyt.jpg

This is stamped into the bottom of the tank

Thanks again

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
The X246 started production in the mid 1960's IIRC and that model is still made today, price wise difficult to say; £10 to £30 seems typical on ebay.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Yep monetary wise it's not worth much. I would try to fire it up as it would be a great back up light in an emergency. I cannot see if the mantle is intact but they are cheap if a new one is needed. The rubber seals do wear out and deteriorate so chances are they may need replacing but it's quite easy to do with guides on the internet to help and a seal set would be about £5.

As you have the meths pre-heater cup in that jar you would be set to go with some Paraffin and meths.

Steve.

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
Gray, these Tilleys are brilliant, I had two for years, left them in the shed when we moved house :( gutted. I used to put warm mince pies on the top when down the Mersey and other places fishing. Only replaced a vaporiser once.

Once I start getting out again I'll be on the lookout for one, seen them go for over £50.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Great lamp for the camp, never get rid of things like that, loads of light heat, and of course that comforting sound...

Get it going and use it..

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
What was the lamp you used at the Broadstone meet Stu, that was a great out putter of light.
I have one of the Tilleys almost perfect nick, got hold of a couple of mantles from the makers for about £4.20 delivered, well pleased with there service.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Yes those washer kits from Ross are very good, made from Viton instead of the regular rubber used and supposed to last longer? I have used several sets for refurbing lamps and heaters.
Can be bought from Ricks link plus they are on ebay as well.

Steve.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
What was the lamp you used at the Broadstone meet Stu, that was a great out putter of light.
I have one of the Tilleys almost perfect nick, got hold of a couple of mantles from the makers for about £4.20 delivered, well pleased with there service.

Hi Hugo, Hope you are well.

Its a Colman Power House 2.. sometimes a bit too bright as it has two mantle's, but hey its a great lamp to light the whole campsite. Runs on Petrol or Colman fuel.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Coleman-2...ing_LightsLanternsTorches&hash=item416b2f9a12

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE