Ticks!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

silvergirl

Nomad
Jan 25, 2006
Angus,Scotland
Well no signs of them yet as my son spent most of the weekend rolling down heather covered hills and didn't pick up any.

Ticks have various stages of lifecycle and are more prone to having lymes disease at diiferent stages. In endemic areas this works out that about one in four ticks will be carrying the virus. They way you get it is by the tick regurgitating some of its stomach contents into your blood stream. This happens when it panics (due to suffocation if you put vasaline etc on it or try to burn it off) or when it stomach is full and it is preparing to detatch (usually over 24hrs later). So Remove them as soon as you can and as gently as possible so that you don't squeeze the stomach area when you are removing it.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
Well no signs of them yet as my son spent most of the weekend rolling down heather covered hills and didn't pick up any.

Ticks have various stages of lifecycle and are more prone to having lymes disease at diiferent stages. In endemic areas this works out that about one in four ticks will be carrying the virus. They way you get it is by the tick regurgitating some of its stomach contents into your blood stream. This happens when it panics (due to suffocation if you put vasaline etc on it or try to burn it off) or when it stomach is full and it is preparing to detatch (usually over 24hrs later). So Remove them as soon as you can and as gently as possible so that you don't squeeze the stomach area when you are removing it.

good job i read this as i was going to say use vasaline..........

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
The aussie ticks are nothing. They are huge, but don't seem much interested in biting 'umans. In 20 years of running around the bush barefoot in shorts, I never once got a tick on me.

They seem to be more of a problem in agricultural areas - I got plenty when I was working orchards over there. And yes, they are huge...

marcusleftthesite

On a new journey
Sep 28, 2006
I get bitten all the time,heres a nasty one from last year.I ended up in the local A&E and had some really strong antibiotics for it.
2009_09180003-1.jpg

zarkwon

Nomad
Mar 23, 2010
West Riding, Yorkshire
Quote "There is concern that the European species could spread infections that do not currently occur in the UK, including tick-borne encephalitis.

"The longer the tick is on, the higher the chance of a tick-borne disease," said Miss Smith.

"Ticks don't actually start to transmit infections until 24-48 hours post attachment.

"So the sooner it is removed cleanly, the smaller the risk of getting a disease it might be carrying."

TBE is nasty and difficult to spot. I'll be checking myself and especially my kid more thoroughly now.

If you haven't seen this then you should. http://www.tickalert.org/tbe-facts.html

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE