Ticks - ?any natural remedies for dogs & cats?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bartsman

Forager
Jan 5, 2013
Princetown
Hi there

Having some time to visit local woods both my dog and I appreciate the calm and time together.... so we've agreed to visit regularly.

A mans best friend I owe him this question, as I've been unable to find a product that's effective at stopping ticks burrow into him.

While my erstwhile tick twister works wonders I'm concerned about any other blood borne parasites that may be transmitted in this burrowing process

So, I'd rather treat my woofer with something that makes the ticks drop off before they've fed....

.... any ideas? Where Frontline has failed!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I have a Springer that lives in the woods where there are many deer, boar and sheep in the edge pastures. I used to take three to four a day from her, every day, and often a good few more; about six years ago I started to use a spot-on treatment called Advantix, applied the same way as the utterly useless Frontline, and since then I've never had a single one on her.

I tried all sorts of natural remedies before I came to this and had no success at all. The Advantix is permethrin-based and it works very well indeed; she's twelve now and has never shown the slightest problem with it. It also deals with quite a lot of the other lesser known parasites like heartworm and lungworm, as well as some of the digestive jobbies.

Very satisfied user :)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Ticks need a blood meal. Some take their time getting down to skin level. On a dog's nose, that's not very long, as you know.
I looked at the various "flea & tick" collars at the Vet's clinic. No clear advantage to any of them.
The biggest dog kennel/school/groomers in tick country (Regina, SK) sold nothing at all.

So I trained the dog to come as I sat on the floor and gave him a serious inspection, morning and night.
A bigger than breed standard Chesapeake Bay Retriever is a lot of dog in my lap.

What's in a tick? The Centers for Disease Control in Atlanta and in Winnipeg say that the answer isn't known.
The nose/mouthparts are barbed = you have to get that out.
Apparently, it doesn't take much (squeezing or liquids or heat) to get a tick to puke up their salad of bacteria and virus into your pet.

That dog was with me 24/7 as a youngster. I think grooming was about as good as I could do.

macaroon: I saw that but nobody seemd to have an informed opinion about it. Thanks for the next dog!

awarner

Nomad
Apr 14, 2012
Southampton, Hampshire
I use a Seresto collar you can only get from the vets as a prescription, costs about £30 but lasts for eight months ie the main tick season and since using it my dog has not picked up a single tick where as before he was getting at least one a day.
I started using them last year and would not use anything else.
The collars can be bought on ebay from Italy for cheaper and one of the online pet supplies sell cheaper them but you must provide a prescription which then only makes it a pound or so cheaper than the vet anyway.

jmagee

Forager
Aug 20, 2014
Cumbria
Seresto collar works brilliantly on our cat against fleas. Highly recommend it

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE