Tick count

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 21, 2015
Durham
Luckily I have never had a tick Bite..... LEECHES on the other hand...... while fishing in Florida, stood waist deep in water to stay cool..........Arghhhh 11 of the nasty beggars!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Not had any in a couple.of years. But I'm extra careful after a tick bite was nearly the end of me. Nearly died and have had a pacemaker and new hip joint fitted because of them. Still suffering nearly a decade dowm the line.
Be carefull and know not only how to deal with embeded ticks but what to look for.
I was a big robust chap brought low by a little spider.
Prevention is better than cure.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Feb 21, 2015
Durham
. Nearly died and have had a pacemaker and new hip joint fitted because of them. Still suffering nearly a decade dowm the line.

Seriously????????!!! How the? what? shiiiiiiiiiii.. what the heck happneed Dude? HOW DO I AVOID THEM? What do i look for....where do they hide?

ANY info much appreciated

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Seriously????????!!! How the? what? shiiiiiiiiiii.. what the heck happneed Dude? HOW DO I AVOID THEM? What do i look for....where do they hide?

ANY info much appreciated

Though I knew of the dangers if you're out 24/7, 360 days a year its hard to keep track. If you catch it early you can be cured with a course of antibiotics. I missed it and it festered within me nearly killing me. (Thank goodness some nurses still smoke as one found me passed out in the village hospital while out for one. They said that I was pretty close to going).
Learn how to avoid areas, spot the signs & remove the ticks. I'll post another thread on it all if you like? Though it's been discussed here in length before.
It's kind've removed over seven years from my life. Not able to.go out, luckily I've a great mate who helped me still get away now and then and though for a while I shied away from here as everyone was out having fun I found that I could go on trips vicariously and that the folk here helped me a lot.
Ticks aren't just out in the wilds; they can get you in the park or in your garden. The main tick awareness site shut down the other year due to lack of funding even though Lymes disease is increasing.
When I get online with a 'puter rather than my phone I'll post up some detailed info and links to some of the stuff on here.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

nic a char

Settler
Dec 23, 2014
scotland
It's SERIOUS! Many lives are ruined every year, and the tick epidemic is getting worse with climate change...
You can get a tick-remover which helps to get the head of the parasite out = essential! Using a flame/cigarette actually makes them inject you...
The country way is to check thoroughly every night before bed - a helper makes it a lot easier - ticks like your feet, ankles, joints, indeed anywhere they can fasten on, and can be quite small before they fill up on your blood.
Tarp-users are particularly vulnerable of course - a better bet is a tent with a contained sewn-in floor.
The worst areas are where there are lots of stock - cows, sheep, deer, etc.
Notoriously ticks hang off bracken to catch on to fresh meat - gaiters, wellies, long boots all help a bit.

Insel Affen

Settler
Aug 27, 2014
Tewkesbury, N Gloucestershire
None so far, but as we are about to move back to Germany, I suspect that will not last.

Worst one I ever had was about 6 years ago, coincidently in Germany. Thought I'd twisted one of my scrotums as I had a sharp pain down there. Next day it was a bit itchy, so had a check and thought it was a blood blister, but would certainly remember any catching of the marble pouch in a zip, who wouldn't. Called to the wife to have a closer look, she does have a biology degree, so thought she'd have clue, nope. So got some tweezers and grabbed a bit, thinking it would pop the blister, nope! Bit of a tug and realised it wasn't a blister. Hmm, thinks I, well in for a-penny....suddenly my left testee looked like that bloke out the Fantastic Four. Still more 'tugging' and it was now about 4 inches long, didn't realise I was related to Strech Armstrong. Still ore 'pulling' and finally, pop! It was a bloody tick!

Wel the wife immediately went off on one, you know 'what have you been up to?' 'Who have you been rolling round the fields with?' A few days of stony silence from the wife (that was nice mind) and many protestations of my innocence, the wife finally came up to me very sheepish. 'What could pants did you have on the day you had a pain in you left nut?' 'Blue' says I. 'Oh, I've just remembered, I dropped those in the garden, doing the washing last week'. An apology would have been nice. 😀😀

Insel Affen

Settler
Aug 27, 2014
Tewkesbury, N Gloucestershire
None so far, but as we are about to move back to Germany, I suspect that will not last.

Worst one I ever had was about 6 years ago, coincidently in Germany. Thought I'd twisted one of my scrotums as I had a sharp pain down there. Next day it was a bit itchy, so had a check and thought it was a blood blister, but would certainly remember any catching of the marble pouch in a zip, who wouldn't. Called to the wife to have a closer look, she does have a biology degree, so thought she'd have clue, nope. So got some tweezers and grabbed a bit, thinking it would pop the blister, nope! Bit of a tug and realised it wasn't a blister. Hmm, thinks I, well in for a-penny....suddenly my left testee looked like that bloke out the Fantastic Four. Still more 'tugging' and it was now about 4 inches long, didn't realise I was related to Strech Armstrong. Still ore 'pulling' and finally, pop! It was a bloody tick!

Well, the wife immediately went off on one, you know 'what have you been up to?' 'Who have you been rolling round the fields with?' A few days of stony silence from the wife (that was nice mind) and many protestations of my innocence, the wife finally came up to me very sheepish. 'What could pants did you have on the day you had a pain in you left nut?' 'Blue' says I. 'Oh, I've just remembered, I dropped those in the garden, doing the washing last week'. An apology would have been nice. 😀😀

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE