Throwing knives

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Hey, I know it's not very Bushcrafty but it is fun!

I'm after some decent throwers, I'm mostly using spikes and some cheaper throwing knives, but I'd like some bigger heavier blades. I'm thinking of making some, has anyone made their own throwing knives? If you have I'd appreciate any designs or tips that you've got.

the design I'm thinking of at the moment is very basic, with a uniform length of steel and an angle cut with a sharpened up pointy bit :D One of the issues I have is the only mental laying around that's of any substance is 10x40mm which is a little hefty, although still tempting (I may not be able to pull it out the target though)

It seems that 'Good' no spin knives are £150-300 which is, to be frank, NUTS!!!!!!

I'm traditionally a spin thrower unless within about 6 feet but I'm practicing no spin throwing at the moment... I recently replaced my big round with some smaller ones...

IMG_2180.jpg

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Waynes set of knives are about 10-12 inches long by maybe 1 3/4 wide and 1/4 inch thick IIRC
so your width seems about right but the thickness seems a little much.
maybe just make a template and get the grinder out!

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
From memory cold steel did some decent low cost ones, but it must be 20 years since i looked!

A bif of mild with a point on the end will do, if you dont mind straightening them. Look online for metal suppliers, even ebay. Something like 30x6mm would be good.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
It seems that 'Good' no spin knives are £150-300 which is, to be frank, NUTS!!!!!!

I'm traditionally a spin thrower unless within about 6 feet but I'm practicing no spin throwing at the moment... I recently replaced my big round with some smaller ones...

View attachment 59249

Don't they all 'spin' ?? ( Unless you're Benecio Del Toro in the Hunter when he's stalking the Two CIA cleaner Operatives in the wood...… )

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Waynes set of knives are about 10-12 inches long by maybe 1 3/4 wide and 1/4 inch thick IIRC
so your width seems about right but the thickness seems a little much.
maybe just make a template and get the grinder out!

Yeah, they'll be fairly big but I think ideal would be about 6-8mm x 30ish.
I will get the grinder out, if it was 50mm wide i'd cut it lengthways as well... trying to get about 250gms a piece, but we'll see.

I have several sets.

Do you want one? PM me.

Bigger heavier ones that normal, well, good quality ones?

From memory cold steel did some decent low cost ones, but it must be 20 years since i looked!

A bif of mild with a point on the end will do, if you dont mind straightening them. Look online for metal suppliers, even ebay. Something like 30x6mm would be good.

Yeah, Mild steel is fine, they're only for messing with and i intend on having fairly sturdy points :D agree size wise....

Don't they all 'spin' ?? ( Unless you're Benecio Del Toro in the Hunter when he's stalking the Two CIA cleaner Operatives in the wood...… )

there's a distance based spinning, so you roughly know where about you need to be to hold it by it's point or handle to get so many rotations in before hitting the target and there's no spin, a semi rotation method that only covers a small arc, this still changes to a degree based on distance but it's much smaller and it leads with the point (hold handle for throw) and never rotates beyond the horizontal, so maybe it moves say 90 degrees of arc before striking...

Something like that :)

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex

They were the ones John Taylor (Littlejohn) based his design on, a legendary thrower. Cold Steel don’t make the exact same ones anymore, but a few years ago I asked John for a set of 3 Of whatever he used. We never completed the deal but they weren’t expensive. Whether he’s still making I don’t know.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Just wondering, would a length of rebar be ok, that is about the cheapest I can think of. It is not a knife I know but if the inertial properties are close the difference is in the looks.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I'vegot some rebar ones and some straight rod ones, they're used the most as they're easy and you're right about cheap!

I'v'e ordered a length of mild steel bar and i'll cut out some basic throwers from that for some fun...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE