Through the keyhole

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
"Now who would live in a hoise like this?"

IMGP0662.jpgIMGP0663.jpgIMGP0664.jpg

My guess is brer fox. I've been wondering where they come from, and today followed a trail that i hadn't noticed before. This is what it led to.

On the other hand, I know that this is badger, as I've heard them crashing around in the undergrowth and the signs are pretty obvious anyway.
IMGP0558.jpgIMGP0559.jpgIMGP0560.jpgIMGP0562.jpg

This is more interesting. The first two pics are from directly in front of the hole shown in the third. Anyone?
IMGP0565.jpgIMGP0566.jpgIMGP0567.jpg

The fox is on a bank in a field, the badger at a woodland edge, and the mystery one in an overgrown old orchard.

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
Big and fresh soil heaps (especially this time of year) are indicative of brock. The pics with the bahco look like fox. Fox tends to leave their leftovers in front of the entrance. The scat is white from the calcium content again indicating fox. Could well be more than one species using the sett or den even concurrently. Multi-tenancy is quite common between badger and fox and even rabbit as well - more so in winter.
Best idea is to grab some soil at the entrance and sift through it looking for hairs. That should tell you the most recent inhabitant.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Interesting. The one I was confident is fox is at least twice the size of the hole I was less sure about. Badger I can recognise.

Good tip about sifting for hairs.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE