Three rabbits dispatched, a first for me.

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
The blog is great, I got the linnk from their site as you suggested.... and I'm looking forward to sitting around a fire with you at the moot, lovey, you'll tell me about these 'long story' moves, won't you?! Pleaaasssse?!!

Tat2trev

Native
Dec 10, 2012
County Durham
I'm a little puzzled as to why your friends had their hands dirty tugging out lungs heart n guts my friend .
When I clean a rabbit I have no blood on my hands and certainly do not suffer any bad smells did you tear the gut whilst cleaning it.

Biker

I'm a little puzzled as to why your friends had their hands dirty tugging out lungs heart n guts my friend .
When I clean a rabbit I have no blood on my hands and certainly do not suffer any bad smells did you tear the gut whilst cleaning it.

Hey Trev', ALL the tutorials for cleaning a wabbit I've seen showed them hung by their back legs and worked on that way. However, Rosie must have seen something different because she worked on hers while it was laid flat on a chopping board. So despite the bunnies hanging for 10 mins with their throats slit to drain there must have been some blood settling into the chest cavity. Nope, we didn't tear the guts, I think it's just the normal internal smell of a bunnie's gearbox and crankshaft.

Tend to wham 'em on the head with a 'bunny knocker' myself rather than stretch their necks, each to their own though, sounds like a good clean job was done.

I hear what you're saying but I was just too nervous about just stunning the bunny hitting it on the back of the head. So we opted for the overkill method, ('scuse the pun.) I certainly considered it a clean kill that's for sure. Simon jointed them today while I was out at a boot fair, so hopefully they'll be ready for the pot or freezer soon.

Thanks for the comments folks, quite proud of myself for doing this and not bottling out.

Tat2trev

Native
Dec 10, 2012
County Durham
Fair play to ya mate on ya first kill next time do the cleaning yourself its a learning curve .theres no need to bleed a rabbit I never have mate I'm sure somebody on here will say why you should but I've never heard of it before and I've cleaned countless amounts of bunnies .good luck with your future kills.

Biker

Fair play to ya mate on ya first kill next time do the cleaning yourself its a learning curve .theres no need to bleed a rabbit I never have mate I'm sure somebody on here will say why you should but I've never heard of it before and I've cleaned countless amounts of bunnies .good luck with your future kills.

There's a circus in town next month, I wonder what Elephant tastes like? :naughty:. I can just picture the scene though. "Now hold still Dumbo while I place this broom handle on the back of your neck. Simon start pulling on those back legs mate ... Oh, you are."

I can do the work of two men - Laural and Hardy.

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
There's a circus in town next month, I wonder what Elephant tastes like? :naughty:. I can just picture the scene though. "Now hold still Dumbo while I place this broom handle on the back of your neck. Simon start pulling on those back legs mate ... Oh, you are."

I can do the work of two men - Laural and Hardy.
gosh, NOW I'm feeling squeamish, the image of you standing behind an elephant yanking on it's hind legs, requires serious application of mind bleach :D

Biker

gosh, NOW I'm feeling squeamish, the image of you standing behind an elephant yanking on it's hind legs, requires serious application of mind bleach :D

Sally I don't plan on standing anywhere near the south end of a nelliefunt, I'll leave the tugging of the legs to Simon. I'll make a token gesture and hold the broom handle and hope Simon's pulling breaks the bleeding things neck. Something tells me he's got his work cut out.

I was invited in to eat dinner with the family tonight, you have 3 guesses what it was. I hadn't eaten bunny since I was about 13 year old. Tasted OK and I have to say it did indeed taste a bit like chicken.

Jul 3, 2013
United Kingdom
As for the hanging and bleeding, I understand it's a French thing, makes the meat paler.

The most important thing about cleaning bunnies is to make sure you squeeze their urine out before opening them up. A busted bladder leaking into the meat is no fun at all.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Well done Aaron, it's a right of passage and one I think all meat eaters should at least try to do. Glad you did it and hope you get to get a wee taste. (Love rabbit).

I am however shocked and dismayed that you're now a fan of flowing redheaded locks on the ladies - it has long been a personal favourite of mine (and Leroy Jethro Gibbs). I think red hair ladies are generally very purty.

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Veiwed from behind, in a low light, I have been mistaken for a 'purty lady'...(edit) actually no, I've NEVER been mistaken for a 'lady' ;)

We had 4 lasses at the last NorthWood, all of whom were redheads... perhaps its a schrafting thing :)

Biker

6a00d41427b9853c7f010980bca2d2000b.jpg

ron-weasley-realizing-hes-a-ginger.jpg

Ginger and redheads, there's a subtle difference I shall not even try to explain.

Yep got to try some of the bunny for Monday dinner. I agree it being a rite of passage and I'm glad I went through it and out the other side. Stupid thing to say I realise but I do feel different as a result. Again, like Redheads and Ginger it's a subtle thing that I can't really define.

Sally beauty goes to the core, what passes for conventional beauty by today's standards sometimes isn't even skin deep but just another layer of foundation makeup. You're a beauty through and through.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE