Three Hatchets...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hedgehog

Nomad
Jun 10, 2005
East Sussex
...well almost...one down two to go.

Ash handles, oak & steel wedges.

A rather pitted little Brades up first...

Hatchet_Brades_01.jpg

Hatchet_Brades_02.jpg

Hatchet_Brades_03.jpg

Hatchet_Brades_04.jpg

Hatchet_Brades_05.jpg

Hatchet_Brades_06.jpg

Hatchet_Brades_07.jpg

Got a Stanisforths Severquick Kent pattern & a Danke 500gm nearing completion...

Hatchets_Brades_Stanisforts_Danke_01.jpg

Not touched the edge on the Stanisforths yet, bar the small ground edge this still has its original bevel - hard to tell if it is forged or ground though, it seems a little concave wich may suggest the latter despite no evidence of striations.

Hatchets_Brades_Stanisforts_Danke_02.jpg

I rather like the Danke in the middle for its weight forward wedge shape & broard cutting edge, should be nice to carve with.

Does anyone know if there is a name for this pattern of head? I'd love to know as I've done a few now & never know what to call them.

Thanks for looking.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Just wonderful work, that Brades has to every bit as good as any Gransfors and with more individuality too, lovely. Are you finishing your handles with a scraper? I am not seeing spoke shave facets in the photos.

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
Thanks for that. I saw some axe heads at a car boot the other day which I nearly bought, so must get some in and give axe handling another go

Hedgehog

Nomad
Jun 10, 2005
East Sussex
Many thanks for all the kind comments chaps.

Just wonderful work, that Brades has to every bit as good as any Gransfors and with more individuality too, lovely. Are you finishing your handles with a scraper? I am not seeing spoke shave facets in the photos.

Cheers Robin - These ones are draw knife to knife to the dreaded sand paper *the horror* lol. I have some scrapers, I'll give them a go - I do hate the dust & wastage of paper - my spoke shave doesn't see much use atm either. Seems some people prefers 'em smooth. I'v left the fawnfoot 'off the knife' to retain some of the hand made character.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I think you did a very good job.

I have a few to do....and a few to get rid of if anyones interested.

Hedgehog

Nomad
Jun 10, 2005
East Sussex
Many thanks.

The little Brades went to it's new owner with a basic 'tradesmans' mask.

A cheaper option for those who want a durable mask but are not so concerned about the looks of it.

Full Grain Natural Veg-tan, glued welt with saddlers rivets, edges beveled but not burnished - finished with lashings of Neatsfoot oil.

Hatchet_Brades_08.jpg

Hatchet_Brades_09.jpg

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
they look fantastic mate, very nice indeed very impressed with you handles, they look just about perfect to me, if my handle ever breaks on any of my axes, i no who i will pm'ing lol.

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
Hey there! You've done an outstanding job, I'm very impressed and if you don't mind I'll borrow some of the handle ideas you've shown. The middle one looks very close to my lattest project, could it be the same maker?

CIMG7603.JPG

CIMG7626.JPG

Someone suggested it could be Mueller, but your Danke looks pretty close too. What do you think?

Hedgehog

Nomad
Jun 10, 2005
East Sussex
Hey there! You've done an outstanding job, I'm very impressed and if you don't mind I'll borrow some of the handle ideas you've shown. The middle one looks very close to my lattest project, could it be the same maker?

Someone suggested it could be Mueller, but your Danke looks pretty close too. What do you think?

Thank you Millius. We all gain inspiration from those around us - take what you like.

I'm sure yours is by a different maker as the stamp would indicate. Bahco also make heads in this pattern - as with most patterns of axe there are often many makers of similar designs.

I have come across a few that just have the weight stamped on them - like the one shown below, simply stamped 400...

Axes_01.JPG

Stamps can be difficult to identify especially if they are not from well known makers.

I havn't seen one with a stamp like yours before. It looks like you've done a very nice job refurbishing it though.

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
This is birch. I overestimated it's capabilities and now the handle is in two! :D :D The heads works very well, it's powerfull tool, i took it to extremes of a hard days work limbing trees, one miss and it broke. Now I think about Elm, it's more springy and strong, for what I've been told a closest I can get to hickory our ways... And wont be making so thin,

Hedgehog

Nomad
Jun 10, 2005
East Sussex
This is birch. I overestimated it's capabilities and now the handle is in two! :D :D The heads works very well, it's powerfull tool, i took it to extremes of a hard days work limbing trees, one miss and it broke. Now I think about Elm, it's more springy and strong, for what I've been told a closest I can get to hickory our ways... And wont be making so thin,

Thin can be fine with Ash, Elm or Hickory. Elm is extremly resistant to splitting.

What is fairly crucial especially in thinner handles is to make sure the rings run front to back in the eye & along the whole length of the helve - it will be stronger.

When you say you missed I assume you over reached & struck the handle just below the head?

Where did it break?

A handle is only as strong as its narrowest point - this is often the eye (and often where they will break) so handles don't strictly need to be any thicker & can in many cases be a fair bit thinner - a rigid axe will tire you quickly, a little spring is a good thing. Of course any axe will break if you put too much force behind it or miss hit - let the tool do the work as they say.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE