Three days playing in the woods. PIC HEAVY

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Hello chaps, went out for two nights in a wood near me that I now have very kind permission to stay in. just some pics of the wood, It's a mix of broad leaf and Larch with a Hazel border, two big badger sets, deer, squirrel and pigeon.

So i parked up the BEAST.
DSCF3888.jpg

My running water for the stay.
DSCF3885.jpg

I've been sewing badges that i've picked up during my life so far on to my shoulder bag.

DSCF3887.jpg

The walk in.

DSCF3886.jpg

DSCF3894.jpg

DSCF3841.jpg

DSCF3843.jpg

Lots of walking sticks and staves!!
DSCF3844.jpg

A lovely place indeed.
DSCF3845.jpg

DSCF3847.jpg

Split a Birch log into four, to make a three log star fire lay chop the fourth log into kindling.
DSCF3855.jpg

He he that's me! using a long strong stick as a wedge to split the log.
DSCF3856.jpg

DSCF3857.jpg

DSCF3858.jpg

Smokey
DSCF3859.jpg

Flamey
DSCF3862.jpg

I settled down for the night, then woke to the most spectacular dawn chorus I've ever heard, I have a video of it I'll post later once I upload it.

EDIT:
Dawn chorus

The sunrise was beautiful.
DSCF3865.jpg

DSCF3868.jpg

Could be back in Scotland.
DSCF3869.jpg

DSCF3870.jpg

DSCF3875.jpg

Slept by the fire night in a folded wool blanket, the fire although it had gone out was easily blown back into life by dropping a spark from my flint and steel onto a dog then using a little birch bark to get flame from the hot dog!!, then a handful of larch twigs under some thumb sized twigs and up to the split out birch, it was still a little green so had to get the fire good and hot to dry it out a little, had a nice small, hot cooking fire when ever needed with the star maintaining itself when not needed with just the ash being scraped out to keep the log ends clear and smouldering.
DSCF3877.jpg

wider shot of camp.
DSCF3878.jpg

and above me
DSCF3879.jpg

found this little BUGger sniffing at my boot.
DSCF3880.jpg

DSCF3881.jpg

DSCF3884.jpg

Lots of munchies in the wood.

DSCF3889.jpg

Lesser celandine
DSCF3890.jpg

Wood sorrel
DSCF3892.jpg

Also pig nut, stitchwort, mustard-garlic, hairy bitter-cress, silver weed and nettle. I had the company of AndyN on the second night who was very kind in pointing these out while on a forage for his tea.

I was very pleased with how little fuel the fire took and still filled its purpose. things not to forget, prop up the non hot ends of the logs so they maintain there burn better and have the open legs to the wind to feed the fire.

DSCF3896.jpg

DSCF3897.jpg

Cooking up my two steak and stitchwort dinner on night two, I made a little chopping board/plate, a spoon/spreader and started a birch cup.

DSCF3898.jpg

Did a bit of this.

DSCF3899.jpg

A little more lived in this time.
DSCF3901.jpg

Sunset in the woods.
DSCF3903.jpg

That night we went up to to watch the badgers, We saw one but mostly heard as it emerged from the set, had a good scratch and trundled off to munch the bluebells, I've just modded a high powered torch for use with a NV camera so expect some night time videos of the badgers soon!! looking forward to a few nights here.:D Thank you chap:You_Rock_

Thanks for reading.

Southey.

Last edited:

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
That is one lovely looking wood , you are lucky to get to use somewhere so beautiful .

Thanks for sharing the pics !

Craig.....

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
Excellent post. Thanks for sharing (I'm not jealous at all!)
Are you sure you have checked the place thoroughly for 'stacchio shells? ;)

Z

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE