Three days on the South West Coast Path

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

S1lver

Tenderfoot
Dec 24, 2013
Windsor
Hi all

Just returned from a three day walk from Weymouth to Swanage and thought Id post a quick resume.
I wanted the trip to about the journey rather than the destination so had no great plans other than campsites I wanted to hit at the end of each day.

Kit list (for those who like such things)
Berghaus Verdan rucksack
DD Jura sleeping bag
DD frontline hammock and handy hammock stand
Karrimor inflatable mat
UKMC pro 3x3 tarp
Trangia triangle with burner single pot and lid
Mug
Waterproofs
Spare socks, light (dry)trousers, light thermal top and microfleece, hat,, all for evening only
First aid kit
Washing kit
Bits and bobs pouch with spork, gloves, meths for three days and a few other sundries
Food for three days
2l camelback

photo.JPG by steveh1h, on Flickr

All told about 20 Kg which was heavy and it struck me how much your food and water weigh, If Id wanted to go lighter Id have ditched the hammock and stand and considered dithching most of the food in favour of pub grub etc. But, I wanted to keep cost low and get a comfortable nights sleep. As ever things are a balance and a trade off and part of the trip for me was about learning where to strike that balance.

Day 1 took the train to Weymouth (which was £20 booked in advance and would have cost that in petrol with all the hassle of parking etc).

Leaving Wymouth it’s a few Ks up on to the South West Coast Path with beautiful views over Weymouth bay in late summer sunshine. The whole three days was in the 70’s and in retrospect Id have worn shorts rather than long trousers.
The next nine or so miles was a live geography lesson finshing at Newlands campsite near Lulworth cove.

Although only about nine miles it took a good 7 hours with regular stops due to the relentless up and down nature of the cliff walking. By the end Id just run out of water and was glad of the very pleasant welcome at the well set up (and pricey £15) camp site. I was able to set up my hammock and was glad Id chosen the location if only for the shower!

Day 2. Left Lulworth Cove by 1000 (I said it was about the journey! No 0600 starts on this trip!)
The cliff walk is closed at various points due to landslips so I took the Lulworth ranges walk, a long ridge of steadily climbing heathland over looking a string of beautiful bays which were almost Mediterranean in the sunshine.

Again some pretty tough climbs and drops before heading inland to Tyneham, a village abandoned during the war and now only open when the ranges are shut. Now only the shells of houses remain but a very beautiful and slightly eerie location. An abandoned village trapped in time nestling in a valley. Almost Brigadoon!
I climbed out of the valley mid afternoon and again followed the inland ridges via Kimmeridge to Kingston. By now it was late afternoon and Id run out of water again due to the heat and exertion of the hills. So, stopped for several pints of liquid at a pub in the village with a garden giving a long view to Corfe castle. It struck me that its often only the traveller on foot or bike that comes across little gems like that with perfect English views in the late afternoon sun.
Refreshed (a bit) I walked on to Langton Matravers and Acton camp site which was beautifully quiet being the last day of its season. Another longed for shower and a kip in the hammock stand due to the lack of trees. Id arrived at 1930 after a good nine hours (13 miles)hot walking and for me the good comfortable sleep was a welcome trade off in weight.

An aspect of hot walking and heavy sweating as a result that I had not considered was the effect on my feet which were starting to blister. So day three I took a leisurely trip in to Swanage having been offered a lift by a departing campervan (it was, after all, all about the journey not the marching).

Fish and chips, a beer and an afternoon on the beach were the perfect end to a three day mini adventure. I did not plan it in fine detail and had all the more fun for keeping things loose. I was pleasantly surprised by the friendliness of the host of people I passed who were happy to give advice on routes and interesting things to see.

Next time I will look at getting the weight down a little. Possibly invest in a lighter two season bag (I was never cold). Wear shorts, definitely a consideration for much of the year I think if you’re mobile and active. Possibly ditch the hammock kit and ground dwell though that’s a tough one. Find food options other than carrying it all!

So. Great trip and as so many commentators say. Just get out and do it!

Cheers

Steve

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
That sounds like a nice trip. Next time you go past Kimmeridge see if you can find the time to do their guided snorkelling, they have waterproof guide cards and you follow the instructions to see all sorts of fun underwater life.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE