Three cook pots - my best find at the tip...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tom Gold

Forager
Nov 2, 2012
Scotland
www.thetreeline.co.uk
Went to the Recycling Centre (tip, cowp, dump) to get soil for our planters today and as usual could not resist a peak into the scrap metal skip. Here is what I found

pots.jpg

The biggest one seems to be made of thin brass with a seam down one side so not ideal for outdoor cooking.

The middle one is made by J A ?iddon of West Bromwich and has '6 pints stamped on the base. It will make a superb cookpot for hanging on a tripod.

The last one has 'Vicrory Ware' stamped on the base and looks to be about 4 pints (looks bigger in photo). Its aluminium and has a '50s camping look to it.

I'm steadily assembling a collection of cookout gear so still cant believe my luck especially with the 6 pint cauldron. Does anyone know of
J A -iddon? Would love to hear from anyone who can tell me a bit more about it.

T

Lizz

Absolute optimist
May 29, 2015
Cardiff
That's very nice, how pleasing! So far our best finds have been a teak outdoor folding table with two matching chairs, and two enormous empty whisky bottles which are now bottle gardens. I hadn't thought of looking in the metal skip - thanks for the tip (and sorry about the pun).

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
The middle one is made by J A ?iddon of West Bromwich and has '6 pints stamped on the base.

Does anyone know of J A -iddon? Would love to hear from anyone who can tell me a bit more about it.

That West Bromwich pot. I think you’ll find it’s made by J. & J. Siddons (Joseph & Jesse Siddons, a well known foundry in West Bromwich) and it’s likely to be very old. The Siddons factory was known for making cooking pots in West Bromwich, they made cast iron cooking pots from around 1846 until aluminium took over after world war II. I was brought up in West Bromwich many years ago. Another well known foundry that made cast iron pots in West Bromwich was Archibald Kenrick. ATB.

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
I take my junk to the recycling centre, separate it out, I place it in all the relevant containers or areas, basically I do all the work.

If I see something I would like to salvage I am not allowed to have it, so much for recyclying, (the sub-contractors make all the money-not the councils).

Anyway, pretty much ****** off with their policies re salvage, such that I feel I should not bother to give any effort to to them re separation of waste or handling it for them.

It should be a 2 way thing.

Tom Gold

Forager
Nov 2, 2012
Scotland
www.thetreeline.co.uk
Thanks for the heads up with the JJ Siddons Pot. Have looked it up and now wishing I had taken more time to look for the lid - it might have been worth a few quid with that! Going to clean it up and hopefully use it this weekend when I take my wee men camping.

Our local tip is staffed by a couple of nice guys who have a few big hooks on broom handles for people to hoik stuff out. Have had a few good finds there!

richardhomer

Settler
Aug 23, 2012
STOURBRIDGE
Good finds there.
Our local Tip dose not allow you to take things out of the large skips. But they do take some things out themselves and put those to one side and sell them cheap to anyone who wants anything. They sell quite a few Bikes there. I always have a look when I'm there but so far iv never found anything interesting to me. '

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE