Thoughts

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chris the Fish

Forager
Dec 5, 2009
Stoney Stanton, Leics
What does the collective brain think I should do with this?

246a5169b79c3b366c1a13c23ead69bc.jpg

ba6bf5504e5ef7f9661466a10a16655f.jpg

It has a strange finish to the blade, sort of stainless. It's a wall decoration which I think could be vastly improved, but how/what/why etc...

Not sure myself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
What does the collective brain think I should do with this?

If it were mine I'd just sharpen it and use it.

It has a strange finish to the blade, sort of stainless. It's a wall decoration ...

I very much doubt it's stainless but stranger things have happened. There's nothing like that hanging on my walls, but then I'm not one for a lot of decorations.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Sharpen and use - but I'd also say to get rid of the highly polished handle finish to increase the available grip. The blade finish might be an attempt at chrome plating, it might flake or wear off with use, but nothing to worry about excessively. I have a WWII model gifted to me from a member of British Blades - and it has become my favorite large knife.

...... There's nothing like that hanging on my walls,
That would be an interesting thing to see Ged, any photos?

Ogri the trog

Sparky415

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2013
Oxfordshire
Thanks sparky that looks almost identical to mine. Was thinking of flattening off the thing near the hilt as well

To make a finger choil? Good thinking,
I might have to get mine out and have a play

I drilled mine (if you don’t have a drill long enough, flatten and sharpen a bit of rod it will be good enough for this)

Chris the Fish

Forager
Dec 5, 2009
Stoney Stanton, Leics
Cheers sparky.

I may see a friend today who has a band saw so was thinking of cutting a block in two, but I've just seen your wooden handle and that looks nice as a single piece

Sparky415

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2013
Oxfordshire
I bought the thing at a carboot to play with and it was too small for me as I have big hands
These things were just tourist fodder so I didn’t mind if I ruined it
I did my normal impatient rush job :rolleyes: the wood was just an ash branch, not seasoned and it has since split, it’s still useable

Might revisit the whole job again next year

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE