thoughts on making stuff.....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bisamratte

Nomad
Jun 11, 2006
Karben
I have started my first knitting project-a scarf. A friend has shown me how to do it and I have made many mistakes, nothing major but things like a couple of holes where I missed a stitch and the fact that it keeps getting wider the longer it gets :rolleyes: :eek:

Anyway, yesterday she asked me why I haven't undone it all and started again (now that I know exactly what I'm doing). But its just the way that I do things - it will still look, work and be a scarf despite the mistakes so why not just carry on?

This got me thinking about other projects that I've done - my first spoon looked like a spoon, works like a spoon but its not pretty (does it have to be?)

Now when I carve a spoon it looks allot better and is just as functional, I'm pretty sure that if I had thrown away my first spoon because it didn't look nice I'd be still working on my first now :lmao:

I think basically I'm trying to say that I learn and improve as I go, and that goes with everything that I do, from spoons to scarves to meals (I'm currently eating a lentil and bacon stew type thing of which I made about 7 portions of about a month ago for the freezer. Every time I defrost one I add something different - salami today - maybe next time that I make it I will know what the missing ingredients are :D )

My scarf will always be, work, and look like a scarf......But the next one I make will be better :) :D :lmao:

Just some thoughts

Andy

ps sorry for any grammatical errors and sentences that keep going round in circles, my brain is in German mode today :banghead: Not bad for an Englishman :D

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Bisamratte said:
ps sorry for any grammatical errors and sentences that keep going round in circles, :D

That's alright, it may not be perfect, but it's still a sentence.... :D

My problem is, I try to get it perfect first time... :confused:

chrisanson

Nomad
Apr 12, 2006
Dudley
I never (or very rarely) practice at anything but just have a bash! I do make mistakes but I think practice peaces are still useable and usually as good. I also do NOT like waste and so recycle things that didn’t go quite right first time. Besides I like making and using things that I have made (much more satisfaction ).
Chris

Bisamratte

Nomad
Jun 11, 2006
Karben
Ok this scarf is getting wider as it gets longer :confused: .........Triangular scarves are the new style ;) ....all I have to do is figure out where I'm going wrong for the next rectangular scarf I make :)

As for perfection, its certainly unique :lmao: but then what is perfect anyway? Even when I have made anything that could be called "perfect" I always think of a better way of doing or finishing it.

:werd:

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
I always say the only mistake is not trying.

I like to make things, any things. Always working on something even if only in my head. I tell my kids they can do anything if they will just try. If it doesn't turn out like you want then try again till you are happy with the result. If you don't try you will never do it.

You always have to keep the first one so you can look back a year or two later and see how much you improved.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Fancy being able to knit. I cant knit for toffee.

I can sew and embrioder and use the machine provided its not too complex...

But knitting or crocheting...no.

If you knew you would be perfect first time you would never do it.

Id like to get a few projects underway. But Im busy at the moment trying to tidy house. (a very difficult task and one Im failing at....but I try...)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Amistake is only a mistake if you learn nothing from it. Otherwise it is a lesson.
The person who never made a mistake never made anything.
Mistakes that involve financial losses can be refered to as "school fees" - paying to learn!
If something functions as it should - does it NEED to be pretty as well?
John

chrisanson

Nomad
Apr 12, 2006
Dudley
Tengu said:
Fancy being able to knit. I cant knit for toffee.

I can sew and embrioder and use the machine provided its not too complex...

But knitting or crocheting...no.

If you knew you would be perfect first time you would never do it.

Id like to get a few projects underway. But Im busy at the moment trying to tidy house. (a very difficult task and one Im failing at....but I try...)

i can knit. :) my dad taught me.
chris

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE