Those stupid little tin openers from rat packs

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Even though it was wet I got a fire going. (due to storing dry wood in car and liberal application of hand cleaner)

getting the tin opener to work...despair.

its not the method...I got out my SAK and there was no trouble. (but extra leverage)

what do you suggest as technique?

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
It's best to show rather than explain. I can open a can quicker with one of those can openers than with my wifes' proper can opener! If you have a proper issued one then you won't have any problems, but the cheaper knock off copies are rubbish so I hear.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Practice! Once you've been able to do it once, you'll be fine.

First time I used these I made a right mess - ended up takling a hacksaw to the top of the tin. :AR15firin

There is a technique to it and, whilst they'll never be the most efficient and comfortable items to use, they're small and cheap!

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
I do believe that the SAK technique is to push away from you, and up and down; turning the tin towards you; whereas the Rat Pack Opener is a rocking action towards you, and up and down, turning the tin away from you.

I know what I meant anyway:D

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Love those types of opener, small and easy to pack, and with a little practice you can open a can in just a few seconds. The idea is a rocking motion, so you cut through the metal, only move the opener a small amount at a time otherwise you'll find it harder to push through or it may even jam or jump out if you're not holding it firmly.

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Yep agreed- a sawing motion describes it well I think.

Make a fist with your thumb on top. Now insert the opener between thumb and forefinger at approx 45 degrees to your body. Place onto can with grooved bit under can lip and the pointy bit facing away onto the can face. Puncture the can by pushing your hand forward, then "saw" the can whilst turning it.

Doddle :D

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Its easier to take your mates knife when he isnt looking, bang it in the top of the can and use a see-saw efect to cut the lid out :eek:

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
The knife hit hard with the heel of the hand on the handle opens any tin can pretty quick and don't damage the blade at all. A good test for a bushcraft knife.:)

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
surely that would at least slightly take the edge off:confused: no steel is that good.

pete

HI Pete, I dont want to come across as patroninsing but all knife use results in wear to the edge. The reason that vanadium and a few other bits and bobs is added to the steel mix is in order that the rate of wear is reduced somewhat. Cutting paper or cardboard will wear the edge on a knife, even a good one. On the other hand a good tool steel knife will make a reasonable job of carving into a mild steel nail. Of course wear is all relative to the task at hand and secondly, although perhaps more importantly, each individuals perception of the capabilities of their equipment in any given circumstance. I would not expect any knife of mine to be damaged by opening a tin can. I believe that some, however, would wear slightly more, or less, than the others.

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
I have it in my mind that one of the Scandinavian knives (the leuko?) is intended to do just this amongst other things ??

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
They are even more of a pain if you are a lefty like me :D I find I have to roll with the opener in my left hand and yaw with the can in my right.

Lefties....:rolleyes:

Daughter is left handed and I find it really difficult to teach her anything practical. Tying shoe laces, shooting a bow, shooting an air rifle all becomes like mission impossible when showing her!

You should all be forced to use your right hand......:D

Simon

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
Lefties....:rolleyes:

Daughter is left handed and I find it really difficult to teach her anything practical. Tying shoe laces, shooting a bow, shooting an air rifle all becomes like mission impossible when showing her!

You should all be forced to use your right hand......:D

Simon

What like the army do ;)

I have taught quite a few right handers to shot bow and I find it an advantage being a lefty as you get them to mirror you especially getting them to raise their bloody elbow :D

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
The knife hit hard with the heel of the hand on the handle opens any tin can pretty quick and don't damage the blade at all. A good test for a bushcraft knife.:)

Seen it done, I'm more of a right tool for the job person myself! Besides, if you take the edge off whilst doing this then you need to resharpen, removing lots of metal and if you do it often enough reducing the life of your knife. :eek: If it's a Mora though, who cares! :rolleyes:

SimonM
If your daughter is a leftie you need to act like a mirror.

I've taught a few physical things to opposites (hard to explain in simple terms, sorta light right and left handed but more like board sports, goofy and regular, which actually doesn't seem to have any link to dominant hand / foot) and it just takes a different technique.

It'll take a bit of sounding out to find out which she responds to better, but this is how I do it.
Start off facing them, face to face or across a table or whatever position works to best mirror what you're doing.
Start demonstrating something simple and get them to copy you.
When you move your right hand, say "left". This might confuse them, if so they are already translating your "right" to their "left" and you can just say it as you do it and they'll make the switch for themselves.
It sounds far more complicated than it is.

You could even make a game of it to figure out which one she responds best to.
I dunno how I figured all this stuff out, I never gave it a huge amount of thought until after I'd figured it all out. I think I've just got a nack for teaching things which most certainly helped.

For shooting a bow, I'd suggest getting two low powered bows, one each, and going through the motions as her mirror. Make sure your technique is correct and get her to copy your moves. You can exaggurate some of them positions and movements to demonstrate differences - that's a good replacement for the more close-contact technique where you help them make the movement for themselves (like standing in close behind an archer or the guy teaching a girl to play pool).
Once she's got the main elements down you can stop being the mirror and move in to tough and move to show where things are wrong and how they should be.

Ok, so this is WAY off topic for the original post, but since teaching lefties to do things came up it seems a decent place to put it.

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Cheers Bigshot!

I did use the mirror technique when teaching her archery - it works well.

But I can't get my head round shoe laces..... I've left that to SWMBO as she is similarly afflicted!

Simon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE