Thompson water seal on canvas

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
Hi guys,
Has anyone used Thompson waterseal on cotton canvas? Any pitfalls, colour change, rigidity ongoing damage to the fibres?
Many thanks in advance.

Louis

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Apparanly the 'new' formula isn't suited for material?
It used to say suitable for canvas on the tin it doesn't anymore...
If its the older stuff it smells pretty bad so will need a good air...
D

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Nikwax do a cotton proofer Louis, I picked up a 1L bottle in a sale a few years back but haven't got round to using it yet

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Dunno, I was doing a gable wall of a house and did a pair of cheap workboots with the stuff years ago.

Kept the water off em anyway.

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
Left a waxy residue on the snow skirt on my Lavvu and needed aired for many, many days! Material is definitely stiffer too but no major issues. That was 5 years ago so no idea about the newer formula.

Kp

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
I have looked at some grangers stuff, but as it's a big lump of canvas I wondered if this worked, however back to 5ltrs of grangers or nikwax

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I always used the Thompson stuff on all sorts of things, did it for many years with great success - but the new formula is evil stuff and will stiffen fabric a lot. I think there's also issues with toxicity as well, 'though they're reluctant to discuss this via e-mail...........................I reckon it's a no-no!.......atb mac

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Belzeebob23 on the forum tracked down an excellent deal on bulk cotton proofer a wee while back, will ask him where he got it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE