Thistle nuts.......a pleasant trail snack.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I believe all thistles are edible, can someone confirm this?

I've never come to any harm from them

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
maver said:
I believe all thistles are edible, can someone confirm this?

I've never come to any harm from them
not all parts are edible on all thistles. or so I am told. If my brain were working I’d look out a pamphlet I have written by a guy called Johnny Jambalaya (not sure if that is his real name) which lists the bit that are good and thems that are not so good.

Edit to add (google is god) thistles

jasons

Settler
Jan 15, 2006
Tain Scotland
yum I have just tryed them .well you pick up some thing new every day thank you ps do you have eny more jems like that :You_Rock_

Jumbalaya

Tenderfoot
Fenlander said:
I've just PM'd him and asked his advice ;)

Hi ho folks,

Well from recollection the 'nut' of the creeping/field thistle [C. arvense] was not one of those which I could find written confirmation of regarding edibility.

Admittedly the heads of the Milk Thistle [Silybum marianum] - which can reach about 1 to 1 1/2-inches across - can be used like mini artichokes (though the effort is hardly worth the shredded fingers caused by this particularly prickly species) but I haven't ever come across a reference to the seed part you mention.

That's not to say the immature seed part you mention cannot be consumed. The leaf, stems / stalks and roots of C. arvense may all be eaten if cooked so there is a very good chance that the 'nut' you refer to may be. If you decide to go ahead with eating it's important to take things step by step in a controlled procedure to ensure your safety. Even if you manage to down some of the nuts there is nothing I have come across that deals with long term exposure or the after-effects of consuming this particular plant part.

M

Jumbalaya said:
Hi ho folks,

Well from recollection the 'nut' of the creeping/field thistle [C. arvense] was not one of those which I could find written confirmation of regarding edibility.

Admittedly the heads of the Milk Thistle [Silybum marianum] - which can reach about 1 to 1 1/2-inches across - can be used like mini artichokes (though the effort is hardly worth the shredded fingers caused by this particularly prickly species) but I haven't ever come across a reference to the seed part you mention.

That's not to say the immature seed part you mention cannot be consumed. The leaf, stems / stalks and roots of C. arvense may all be eaten if cooked so there is a very good chance that the 'nut' you refer to may be. If you decide to go ahead with eating it's important to take things step by step in a controlled procedure to ensure your safety. Even if you manage to down some of the nuts there is nothing I have come across that deals with long term exposure or the after-effects of consuming this particular plant part.

M

My uncle taught me to eat them when I was a child. He said that during the war when he was a child, kids used to eat lots of them. I can find no reference to this either :confused: . I've been eating them for the past 30 years without any obvious effects :rolleyes: ........I've been eating them for the past 30 years without any obvious effects :lmao:

jason sears said:
yum I have just tryed them .well you pick up some thing new every day thank you ps do you have eny more jems like that :You_Rock_

Here's one for May next year....

Willow catkins.

The male catkins from different types of willow, seem to have their own unique flavours. One we tried while out with MikeS reminded him of Bakewell tarts. the pollen also gives them a sweet taste.

The female catkins make a good chewing gum.

As with everything......use in moderation!

Attachments

• Willow catkin.JPG
    Willow catkin.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 94
Fenlander said:
My uncle taught me to eat them when I was a child. He said that during the war when he was a child, kids used to eat lots of them. I can find no reference to this either :confused: . I've been eating them for the past 30 years without any obvious effects :rolleyes: ........I've been eating them for the past 30 years without any obvious effects :lmao:

I demonstrated these to John and Val Lord at the moot and John told me Ray Mears had taught him to eat them. When i discussed them with Mors, he said he eats the immature seeds as well.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE