this weeks craftin'...

PaulSanderson

Settler
May 9, 2010
North Norfolk, GB
hello...

...been mucking around the last few days and rustled up these. 2 hazel spoons and a scrap-metal knife with hazel, leather, birch and colubrial (sp) handle...thanks for looking. please excuse the quality of the pics as they were taken on my mobile on the WRONG setting :lmao:

IMG-20110706-01467.jpg

IMG-20110706-01466.jpg

One of the bridesmaids for my wedding was fascinated as i sat and whittled spoons by the fire, so im gonna drop an ornate spoon into here "thank you for being a bridesmaid" bag at the wedding...

IMG-20110706-01465.jpg

shouldve made the grind a lot shallower and hence further up the blade, but this is only my 4th attempt at knife making so i should be getting better :) and my 1st attempt at a stick tang. I love making stacked handles...

IMG-20110706-01464.jpg

IMG-20110706-01463.jpg

Cheers for looking...any pointers gratefully received :)

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
Nicely shaped spoons there. It looks like you have included some of the central pith of your branch in your spoons. You might get a little bit of radial splitting starting from the pith if you're unlucky. If you split a branch down the centre line then you can avoid pith inclusions in your spoon. Hope this helps for your future spoons.
BTW lovely knife there as well!

PaulSanderson

Settler
May 9, 2010
North Norfolk, GB
thanks for the kind comments...i realised about the pith and ensured the wood was properly dried out before carving...hopefully this will remedy the situation...if not, i have an excuse to carve more :) cheers!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE