This looks more like it.

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Now that looks good, wonder if there will be a dubbed version for British and US markets. There are some stunning movies coming from the Russia's and eastern Europe.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
The producers are the guys that did "Night Watch" and "Day Watch" so I wouldn't be surprised if it got a short cinema release over here.

It's more likely if it's dubbed I suppose but I'll be happy enough with subtitles.

As with all these things, it's never going to be completely accurate but at least it looks credible.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
It does look good but then don't all the films and TV shows in trailer form :rolleyes: :)

Bit more info here about the film... I like the sound of the comparison to GoT :D

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Everything gets compared to GoT these days, I guess that is inevitable and the foley artists do insist on adding sounds where no sound is needed.

This does at least make some attempt to get it right. Don't get me wrong, I can still see plenty of stuff that is inaccurate but my tolerance increases when they get more right than they get wrong.

Last Kingdom seemed to take a perverse pleasure in making it as wrong as it could be, altering things just for the sake of it. I half expect to see a horned helmet in the next episode just because it's the only thing they have got right so far.

I actually feel sorry for Cornwell that his name is attached to the story because he is much better than that. I guess he at least gets some financial compensation.

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
Everything gets compared to GoT these days, I guess that is inevitable and the foley artists do insist on adding sounds where no sound is needed.

This does at least make some attempt to get it right. Don't get me wrong, I can still see plenty of stuff that is inaccurate but my tolerance increases when they get more right than they get wrong.

Last Kingdom seemed to take a perverse pleasure in making it as wrong as it could be, altering things just for the sake of it. I half expect to see a horned helmet in the next episode just because it's the only thing they have got right so far.

I actually feel sorry for Cornwell that his name is attached to the story because he is much better than that. I guess he at least gets some financial compensation.
You said it. Really looking forward to this Russian movie as it looks like it centres on the Rus people so nice to see a different side of the collective viking cultures, noticed the totem/god poles being erected in the trailer too which I remember from the accounts of the Arab that spent time with them (for the life of me I can never remember his name and can't get past his portrayal by Antonio banderas in the fantasy movie 13th warrior haha)

Sent from my SM-T230 using Tapatalk

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
And I hope it's never dubbed as that always ruins it. Much better in the native tongues with subs

Sent from my SM-T230 using Tapatalk

Yeh I agree completely with that. Nothing worse than dubbed.

While you're on the subject of top notch film making, are there any other viking or celtic type films you would rate?

Dreadhead

Or perhaps Ahmad ibn Fadlān ibn al-Abbās ibn Rāšid ibn Hammād.

His account discusses a Viking shrine in some detail.

That's the one I was on about, I acually typed out Ibn Fadlan in my original post but then thought...isn't that just from 13th warrior (ridiculously entertaining film based on a fantasy book which is loosely based on ibn Fadlans accounts)? so deleted it. But aye, fantastic read his accounts, the parts I have read anyway.

Dreadhead

Yeh I agree completely with that. Nothing worse than dubbed.

While you're on the subject of top notch film making, are there any other viking or celtic type films you would rate?

Unfortunately, there aren't any! I have a bunch of viking-ish films I watch every now and then but they are mostly bad. 13th warrior is an absolute classic for me, but it is 100% fantasy though a good laugh indeed. Valhalla Rising with Mads Mikkelsen I sort of like as it's set in Scotland and he's a decent actor (even though he doesnt get to act whatsoever in this film) but gets even slower towards the end if such a thing is possible. I like Severed Ways too but it's pretty dreadful. It is essentially two viking living stranded in america, cutting down trees and pooping in the woods with nasty synth music playing every now and then, all shot on a handheld cam it seems, but...it's a laugh!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE