This is weird

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

chris chris

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 25, 2004
keswick
Stew
If you click on the link you get might get what I'm getting, something called the outdoor world survival school, certainly not Breakaway Survival School.

I thought it was a spoof at first because IMO it is not well presented.

Thanks Adi, that's what I wanted, I was thinking of doing another weekend there as I enjoyed the "crack" lastime, it was a good laugh.

What's this link about then, can someone use another companies name as a website address? Looks like it.

Anyway, thanks everyone. :super:

Chris

whitebuffalo

Banned
Oct 28, 2004
Cornwall
Maybe one is stealing the others website link or something. I dont know all the computer gargon but it would seem like an attempt to steal customers. That said I have never heard of either so what would be the point?

chris chris

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 25, 2004
keswick
Thanks Adi, that's wierd.

I've never heard of the Outdoor world survival school before although after checking Tony's BCUK schools link page it's on there.

To me it looks a bit sinister, as white buffaloe suggests, even an atempt to redirect potential customers, although that is just my opinion from what I see.
Just seems not right. :?:

But, as you say Adi, that's the internet for you.

Chris

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Adi007 said:
The www.breakawaysurvival.co.uk URL has been active since Dec 1999 while www.breakawaysurvivalschool.co.uk was registered in Now 2002. There is a similarity in the names but that's life on the web.

I suspect that the domain has just lapsed after not being renewed or they forgot to renew it but you should get automated renewals so it happens less frequently now because checking with whois.nic.uk (which covers .co.uk domains). I got this:

Domain Name:
breakawaysurvivalschool.co.uk

Relevant Dates:
Registered on: 26-Jan-2004
Renewal Date: 26-Jan-2006
Last updated: 16-Aug-2004
So if Adi is right on the original registration it seems likely the domains just became available and was taken up and is now web forwarding to the other site. I suspect that breakaway survival could do something if they wanted to as they are a trading company already using that name for a specific purpose. Depends a bit on whether they are a registered company and have any sort of trade name registration etc. But as Adi said it happens all too often. It could have easily been a sleazy pron site

:roll:

stevec

Oct 30, 2003
Sheffield
just had a look at the site "breakawaysurvivalschool", its run it would appear by a bloke called jeff, who as it happens used to be a friend of/ instructor with mick tyler at breakawaysurvival. i seem to recall that they had a parting of the ways several years ago now. i had a check and there also appears to be a picture of jan (2 meters) the dutchman.
sc

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE