this is puzzling me.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

maverix

Forager
May 16, 2005
North Devon coast
hmm im still going for a lizard, on a sunny day on a dune with the right aspect it can easily create microclimates warm enough to stir a Lizard.

the only other thing I know of in the Dunes here that might leave a trail would be a larger beetle perhaps a blood nose or violet ground beetle however the footprints tend to be a little wider apart and the abdomen only trails intermitantly on certain slopes.

This has certainly got me thinking tho'......so I know where im taking the dog for a walk tomorrow :p

Dogface

Jun 16, 2005
Surrey
It looks a lot like a hermit crab track to me - that one-sided drag track is pretty characteristic. Used to see plenty of them when I was a kid in the tropics, but not so many these days, Surrey being a bit far for the crabs to walk (especially when dragging their shell).

Regards,

Nick.

maverix

Forager
May 16, 2005
North Devon coast
Cant see how it can be a hermit crab on sand so dry. particularly in Saunton Dunes all the crabs here are very much marine creatures and would not venture into the dunes. Looking closely at the turn by the dry marram footprints on both sides appear briefly before the drag mark covers one side.

bilko

Settler
May 16, 2005
SE london
I was thinking this you can even see the offender in the shots!

Grass of some sort whiped by the wind. Look at the shadows.

maverix

Forager
May 16, 2005
North Devon coast
I give up.....

Typically went with the sole intention of finding the tracks and the culprit I even walked the dog and then came back in stealth mode. and of course no sign of tracks or in fact anything other than the marram.

However I do walk in these dunes two or three times a week and feel i know the wildlife fairly well, nothing too serious I havent met its parents yet ;) The grasses here do leave distinct marks however they are of a more arched shape from swaying in the wind. I often see this type of track on dry sand and its path is way too unusual to be caused by wind or rolling seed pods as it follows lines and paths that wouldnt logically be taken by inanimate matter.

Anyhows its put me on a mission so I will keep you all posted with updates and pics, next time i go on a minisafari. However looks like surf s up tommorow so have to make the most of that if im over that way

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE