This has stumped me a bit

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
I know it will be obvious when you tell me but..........

A pic I took some time ago.

Oh and this one as well thought it was early purple orchid but no spotty leaves.
dave

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
top one looks like the flowing head of mares tail. Just going to check me books on the bottom one, looks like bugle, but could be selfheal or as you say orchid...

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
John the top one was no where near water? Well nearish to boggy ground so I dunno sorry about the bottom pic not the best no leaves and no scale sorry... I will try to find another D

fred gordon

Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I would be inclined to say Mare's tail and Selfheal. I was looking at some mare's tail today so it's fresh in my mind.:rolleyes:

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
I agree with John and Fred that the top photo is Horsetail(Equisetum arvense). The photo you have Tommy is of the fertile stalk. The Horsetail produces two different stalks,one being the infertile Horsetail with twiggy like foliage and the other the fertile one(as in your photo) which produces spores,these spores are wrapped with small bands the unwrap in dry weather which work like a parachute to carry the spore on the wind. It also contains silica,silicic acids plus saponins so its good for scrubbing your camp cookwear.

familne

Dec 20, 2003
Fife
the bottom one is in fact bugle (Ajuga reptans) as Jon said, the flower shape and colour is wrong for self heal.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE