This feels weird...

SGL70

Dec 1, 2014
Luleå, Sweden
...on the brink of desperation I have pitched my tent in the back yard. That might be within the norm for a kid, but I am way past 40....I feel like go inside to retreive one of the kids for alibi.

I can see my wife in the window now...she is in tears...from laughing, I presume. Not entirely sure, though.

Well...this weekends outing was blown out of th water by a birthday party I had completely forgotten....so what is a man to do....or "the worlds biggest sven-year-old", as my wife puts it...

Hmm....

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
I say set up the fire, get a brew on and get some meat on skewers and stare into the fire as your meat is sizzling over the coals and visualise you are anywhere you want to be

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
She just misses you. That must be it.

Are you sure you will be ok out there on your own? You can always go in if it gets too cold. Maybe if you look pathetic enough she will bring you a mug of hot chocolate and some marshmallows.

:evilangel:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I say set up the fire, get a brew on and get some meat on skewers and stare into the fire as your meat is sizzling over the coals and visualise you are anywhere you want to be

I'm with Bod. Set it up, light it up and crack open a wee dram. If the good lady loves you she'll ferry out drinks in the hope of getting to join you. Kid her on you're her GOT knight camping in the wilderness for her. :D
Hope you have a crackin' night Sir.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
who knows the misses might see you having so much fun she gets a little envious and comes out to snuggle in next to flames

NS40

Nomad
Nov 20, 2011
Scotland
That's part of the reason I had kids...so I can do spontaneous and fun stuff without getting sectioned...but I still get in trouble.

I frequently get told off for the following:

1. Erecting tents, tarps or hammocks in the house
2. Trying out stoves in the house (especially home made ones)
3. Collecting and amassing mounds of small round stones for slingshot practice (cheap and environmentally friendly)
4. Varying between having mountain bikes, canoes/kayaks, inflatable dinghies, float tubes, etc taking up space in the house or attic.
5. Always having a knife/parang/axe/saw of some description within a few feet of wherever I happen to be seated.
6. Abseiling out of the attic (the kids have become experts at upside down abseiling as well as prusiking up a rope or using petzl shunts as ascenders).
7. A variety of other stuff that would sound normal to folks here but beyond eccentric to non-bushcrafters...

Our curious behaviours may not be normal in mainstream society...but they are understood and applauded here!

NS40 (aged 46 3/4)

Silkhi

Forager
Mar 28, 2015
N Yorks
I often test gear in my back garden and yes it does feel weird. I do also have a bit (4-5 acres) of waste ground within 1 minute's walk of my home that has established trees, scrub, a natural spring and despite being on the outskirts of a town nobody goes there. Ever. I feel even more weird when I test kit there - but it's perfect for hammocks.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
I gotta agree, i'm jealous as i don't have a garden to go out and do it in or i know i would at any excuse (39 and 3/4) i had a proper chuckle when you lot started adding the fractions onto your age

SGL70

Dec 1, 2014
Luleå, Sweden
Thanks guys....It feels good to know that there are other weirdos out there. :)

Drams, skewers....I clearly got some room for improvement, methinks.

Greger (7 or 44 3/4)

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
I've got a tarp up in the living room, I'm just about to sit under it and change the paracord zip pulls on my rucksack.

Stuart (38 1/2)

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
Good for you, it's a great way to test your kit especially if you're using something new. My neighbours think I'm nuts anyway and have pretty much stopped asking what I'm doing because the answer is usually along the lines of "Making birch tar" or "making a tandoori oven in a big flowerpot."

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Good for you, it's a great way to test your kit especially if you're using something new. My neighbours think I'm nuts anyway and have pretty much stopped asking what I'm doing because the answer is usually along the lines of "Making birch tar" or "making a tandoori oven in a big flowerpot."

I can't imagine why they'd find you "odd". :D my neighbors think the same.

Goatboy (46 1/4)

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I've tested gear in the garden before, had fires, strung tarps up pitched tents etc.

The neighbours decided ignore what I get up to once I started processing deer carcasses for the dogs though. I think it was the sight of me swinging an axe at these bloody remains that upset them :D

Mesquite 53, almost 54 :)

fergsuk

Forager
Dec 21, 2013
Leeds
I've been told off a few times for the tarp in the garden or playing with the tent in the living room with the kids. Once it's up, you cant move an inch and the kids love diving into it from the sofa. You're never too old to make dens, build fires and play with bugs. :D

Pete11

Nomad
Jul 12, 2013
Scotland
Sadly , SWMBO drew a line at me erecting a shed in the dinning room.

Nae fun that woman, ;-)

Pete ( 52 1/2 but 9 in Pan yrs )

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
I camp in the garden all the time. Had a two man tent out there, a bell tent and just the other day, I setup my tarp.

I don't care if people think I'm weird or a little strange. My kids are learning flint n steel on a patch of the garden that I've yet to turf. We regularly take a stove out on walks with us and even into the back garden.. I'll make a brew or cook snacks for the kids... its just good fun.

Saying all that, in the summer months my kids constantly want to eat outside.

Nowt wrong with it... enjoy the outdoors whether its your back garden, the local park or a remote woodland. Only difference is varying levels of beauty and tranquility.

Oh and 39 and 2/3rds. :)

richardhomer

Settler
Aug 23, 2012
STOURBRIDGE
I have a polish lavvu That's up in the garden at the moment. Been up about two weeks. Now. The children like to play in it when they are out there.
I quite often use my S.A.T. to make a brew when I'm out working in the shed or garden. Both the children love getting a stove out and cooking some backed beans and toast for a snack on a Saturday Lunchtime.

Children learn though paly. I believe that adults do as well

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE