This a good buy?

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
I would imagine the postage would cost as much as the axe itself. Your local cheap tool shop would probably stock something similar.

If you could stretch your budget a little further, try searching for a model made by Bahco, its been mentioned on here quite recently.

NikolaTesla

Forager
Jan 26, 2012
Uk
I would imagine the postage would cost as much as the axe itself. Your local cheap tool shop would probably stock something similar.

If you could stretch your budget a little further, try searching for a model made by Bahco, its been mentioned on here quite recently.

Yes it is £8, I must get that one then, and postage is £4, thanks mate!

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Aldi/lidl some times do them at a similar price, there's some in a diy store near me for a fiver, so the price is'nt far wrong. I got a hultsafor trekking axe(as did others)recently from MY tool Shed, they are great & cost £28.55 all in.

Rob

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
A folding saw will probably be more versatile and somewhat safer to use for a newcomer - as well as being a perfect accompaniment to your existing sharps

Ogri the trog

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
I'd save up for a while and try to get something a bit better.
You have a good knife and a good saw so why have a tat axe?
Check out the flea markets and junk shops for a nice old one
which may need a new handle or a bit of renovation.
Cheers , Simon

Last edited:

tinderbox

Forager
Feb 22, 2007
East Lothian
Silverline do good tools at cheap prices. That's why a lot of of small town independent ironmongers stock their stuff. That said the price of this axe seems too good to be true. I'd love to get a review of the axe.

Last edited:

palace

Forager
Mar 4, 2011
NW London England
I bought a SILVERLINE hatchet off fleabay, it was fortunate that I only wanted the head, the handle all but fell out of the head and the wood was in a poor state.
The head was badly manufactured though nothing my angle grinder could not cure (yes I did control the temperature) . whether this is indicative of all hatchets or I bought a second I can't say anyway it now has a 20" GB shaft & looks the part; I also bought a Wilkinson sword (Fiskars) 1 1/2lb hatchet for less than £10 what a fight to get the head off, this will get a 20" handle and be given to my grandson, his mother can have the other one.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
There's obviously a lot of axe snobs here, and quite right to, I’m one of them, go on dig a little deeper and get a decent axe. Listen to WOOF and PLASTIC NINJA , you will only save cash in the long run....

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
How much use are you going to get from the axe. Do you really need an axe. Are you buying one just for the sake of it.
I know it might not be a lot of money but will it end up in the shed rusting away.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
How much use are you going to get from the axe. Do you really need an axe. Are you buying one just for the sake of it.
I know it might not be a lot of money but will it end up in the shed rusting away.

Got to agree. I think a lot of people buy an axe because they think they should but don't actually use one all that much. What do you actually want to use it for?

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Fair enough on the gardening but there are better and safer tools for the same job. Im not saying you arnt competant but an axe even in experienced hands is damn dangerous. It is also harder to pack in a rucksak.
I know £5 isnt a lot of money and im not trying to talk you out of getting what you want.

There have been various threads about axes and the merits of them, but there always seems to be a good few for sale. Im not saying im right here but i think lots of people buy them and dont really need them.

With a good saw you will get a cleaner cut with little effort and much safer.

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
id just get that one, if it turns out to be pants steel no great shakes, and it will teach you how to use and sharpen an axe well, with out the worry of trashing her, then if you need to get another you can have and look after better for longer...

i used a felling axe for years, it was a B&Q job (i think), used it for ages then broke the handle, i then cut it down and wedged it gled it etc, i still use it at work now, and infact used it Mon, Tue, Wed, Thur this week....:) and i would never haved used my GB for that work, it just needs 10 seconds on the belt sander and she is good to go.

anyway, just my thoughts...;)

regards.

chris.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE