Thinking of getting a 3 man, 3 season tent

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Since the family tent is a tad bulky ( The old Wild Country Citadel XL ) I'm thinking of getting a ok 3 man tent to go with my 2 man backpacking tent so we ( 2 porky adults and 3 ever expanding kids) so we can have something we can use with much less bulk and weight.

The three manner needs to be green, light weight, 3 season and not pitch inner first. I haven't a vast amount to throw at it and am currently favouring one of these

http://www.terra-nova.co.uk/tents-and-spares/all-tents/coshee-3-tent/

which can be got for £90 if you shop about. I do like Wild Country / Terra Nova tents but can anyone suggest any other makes / models for that price or less that they use themselves?

Cheers!

Tom

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Does lightweight mean you want to carry it far? If not :), I picked up a Vango Omega 350 for £99 from F&T back in the summer, a great tent but I wouldn't want to backpack it very far.
We (me & the mrs) did a two week tour of the Scottish west coast in what was supposed to be summer, the tent stood up to some pretty hairy weather over that two weeks, especially on Skye when we camped next to Loch Greshornish in 60mph storms.

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
As I'm sure you know, WC tents are optimistic on sizing- I have a Zephyros 2 and you won't get 2 in it (comfortably). The Coshee is getting decent reviews for a new tent, just bear in mind it is more of a 2 man tent (3 kids?). I'm guessing it's for car camping? We use a Decathlon Seconds tent in 3 person http://www.decathlon.co.uk/2-seconds-iii-pop-up-tent-dark-grey-green-id_8171132.html but it's not the most wind stable (it's okay).

Mick721

Oct 29, 2012
Sunderland
I use a vango spectre 300 myself. Me and two mates used it when hill walking and wild camping in the lakes last year. It was roomy enough for three fellas, three packs and has seperate compartments for boots. Waterproof and barely flutters in high wind. Cracking tent. Can't fault it.

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
I'd suggest the Coleman Cobra 3 but it's not green....http://www.amazon.co.uk/Coleman-Cobra-Three-Person-Backpacking/dp/B0047T69SC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1383595540&sr=8-1&keywords=coleman+cobra+3 and it's not grey either. It's 2 tone blue as in one of the smaller pics in that link.

These are really underrated tents.

I have the Libra connect 1 man. A belting little tent that's stable, warm, dry and easy to erect in all seasons.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Winnet

Forager
Oct 5, 2011
Aberdeen
I have an Equinox 350 that I'm not using and planning on getting rid of. It is a decent tent and can handle most things that are thrown at it although it isn't necessarily classed as light, approx 5kg if memory serves right. One thing to remember with smaller tents is having enough space to stow the bags and associated detritus that camping gathers.

G.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Thanks for the input folks. Unfortunately weight is a issue as well as cost as it will be used for back packing as well especially as a lender to the eldest two who are doing scout and (one of them) D of E expeditions. So it will be used as a 2 manner being carried as well as for 3 for overnighters in the car. I'm loath to lend my can't afford to replace 2 man job to them. I lucked out and got it for about a third of the RRP new to use as a spacious 1 man job.

When it's used as a three manner the car will be used for storage . Being a big clumsy oaf I tend to have gone for bigger tents than I strictly need trading off with reduced longevity. Saying that I'm a dab hand at attaching and repairs!

Cheers!

tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Well that's me put in my place. Herself upped and bought the Coshee 3 for me from Nevisport £89 with free postage. Since it will be her and 2 kids who use it most and she's the breadwinner that's fair enough. Something to look forward to anyway. Of course I may not actually get to use it before the spring, which will give me a chance to get the footprint for it.

i didn't say it was a bad place! :)

Thanks again!

Tom

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cue the snoopy happy dance it's arrived, the chores are done and the house is empty until 3!
l
theres enough space in the shed to put up a 6 manner and plenty of furniture to anchor the guys to hold it up so it's now time to regress and do some indoor camping to match my armchair bush craft!

atb

tom

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Im actually rather chuffed with it despite being unable to peg the inner out properly. The weight is less than some of the old nominally two man tents I've used and well withing single man carry if you are just humping summer kit. There will be loads of space for a adult and two teens or three normal sized adults (im six foot and 19 stone) assuming their kit is elsewhere, which is how we will use it with three. My head just brushes the inner roof if I sit bolt upright if I sit at the optimal spot. How robust it is only time will tell but for 89 notes I'm one happy little bear.

coshee3_zps5380640e.jpg

Excuse the big pile of junk behind it, am sorting stuff to ebay or carboot.

ATB

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE