Thinking about a Flat bow

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Just want some Advice about a Flat bow...
Following about 30 years rest off archery I've just been to my local Field Archers site, now been passed to use a bow safely and ready to Join NFAS, so tired a few bows to see what I like, and I think a flat bow :).... got one well with it.

I am thinking about a Buck Trail Black Hawk, I liked the way it felt in my hands, also like the Wolf Flat bow as well, but not much between them...

Now I am needing a 40 to 45lb one 68", so has any one got any feelings about them, I know where to get the Buck from, but cant find a Wolf Bow,

Now got to sort myself some 32" arrows and the rest of the stuff :) then its out to play :)

Also I just don't want to waste my money, as its a bit thin on the ground :)

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Be interested to see your progress. Fancy trying archery myself but again funds, time, etc all come into play.

Yeah I know the feeling, but I am biting the bullet and going for it , I have said for years if only there was a field archery club near to me.. then I found out there was a couple of years ago... then it was what about the cost...

So far...

I did a quick conversion course.. they let me do it as I used to shoot field, if they thought I forgot too much I would have to redo the beginners one, but hey £5 later, and a morning I signed off to register and join the NFAS..

The next step I have to join the Club.. £25 per year and a £5 deposit for the gate key.., and £20 to Join the NFAS.. so I can see me writing the cheque's for that soon....

... So far that will be £55.. then I got to buy some gear.. now this will be interesting.... Cheap and cheerful that's all I need , but I want to go traditional.. got about £150 saved :)

marcelxl

Settler
May 2, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
I'm a huge fan of Bearpaw bows and would recommend them to anyone, although "mass produced" they are made by hand.

Falcos are tasty but as are some of the cheaper ones like your Samicks, internature etc. and it you can get hold of reflex/deflex or hybrid longbow then all the better (these are my favourite bows!)

Go lighter rather heavier on the draw if you are inexperienced - you will enjoy the process more and learn quicker and easier. 68" is a good call, nice and forgiving.

Arrows can be the expense, but if you want to throw sticks then walk your dog! (I jest wooden arrows flying is a thing of beauty!) I am too mean to use wooden arrows regularly particularly when shooting NFAS field which is usually in the woods which usually means trees which usually means wrecking arrows.

Not a fan of Aluminiums either as they bend and dent.

IMHO opinion carbons are the most cost effective way of shooting, arrows like Easton Powerflights are cheap (fiver?) and will laugh at most trees & rocks and so long as a carbon shaft is in one piece its straight, a quick bend test to see if its safe and you're away again! I rarely break arrows so my hobby is cheap

All that said, my shaft of choice these days is the Carbon express heritage, a nice carbon shaft made to look like its wood!

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Thanks for your answers so far, they are making me think about what to get,

I tried a 30lb today and found it too easy to draw, and then tried a 40lb, I was able draw and hold with no problem or struggle to aim, hit most 3D target first or second peg, getting first peg kills a few times as well.. oh yeah had a couple of misses first few targets...

Not bad after 30 years, so I am well chuffed :)

Arrows I must admit, I used wooden ones all those years ago, and like the idea of them again, so that's going to have to take some more thinking.

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
No affiliation etc, but how about a 3 day course with Forest Knights and come away with your very own self made flat bow and the knowledge to make more?

adestu

Native
Jan 19, 2010
swindon
I'd recommend a bowmaking course as well . I did mine with John ryder near Midhurst.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Course's are great if you can afford one,

If I could I would be going to Will Lord's one just down the road from me, but £275 for the course..

Sorry I cant afford that...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE