Thinking about a bivvi bag to go with my tarp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jeff Edwards

Jul 9, 2018
West Midlands
I have a Pro-Force Hawk a number of years, prior to that a British Army bivi. I find both roomy however the waterproof access zip of the Hawk makes it easier to get in and out and can be cooler.
I got my Hawk after seeing my sons as they have a zip in midge proof screen. Not a luxury after being eaten in the army version whilst in the lake district.

Both roomy around the foot area.

cipherdias

Settler
Jan 1, 2014
Wales
I still haven’t bought anything yet and as I’m on a buying ban right now I have more time for research :)

What I have bought is a D&D Hammocks 3x3 camo tarp and also a British Army jungle sleeping bag. Tarp will eventually replace my seriously heavy tent and the sleeping bag will replace my big heavy 4 season sleeping bag.

Ideally I am after something relatively light, breathable, not too bulky and relatively easy to get into.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cipherdias

Settler
Jan 1, 2014
Wales
If using a jungle bag you'll do well to buy a fleece liner too. Pretty cheap items but worth its weight in gold inside a jungle bag and I dare say gives you a 2/3 seasons warmth. Also makes the setup quite versatile.

I'm speaking from experience BTW because that's exactly what I use.

OLO
www.onelifeoverland.com

It actually came with a liner which I have since taken out as I tend to sleep VERY warm even on cold nights! One thing I have noticed about this bag is the zip and zip puller is very noisy and sounds disturbingly like the bell that my cats wear!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Onelifeoverland
You might be surprised how far into the colder season you'll be able to take it with the extra layer :) I also sleep warm and always carry mine for that reason. Sometimes the liner is all that is needed and I might just have the sleeping bag fully open to use as a blanket for when the temp dips in the early hours.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
If using a jungle bag you'll do well to buy a fleece liner too. Pretty cheap items but worth its weight in gold inside a jungle bag and I dare say gives you a 2/3 seasons warmth. Also makes the setup quite versatile.

I'm speaking from experience BTW because that's exactly what I use.

OLO
www.onelifeoverland.com

Yep exact setup I have, although I tend to
Wear thermals rather than a fleece liner, and a hat, thick socks and wool gloves make a difference.

I use a Brit army bivi bag with mine and with the jungle bad can get my thermarest inside aswell

Reactions: Onelifeoverland
Ah yes a hat. People tent to underestimate the tremendous difference a hat makes.

Slightly off topic but Mrs Onelifeoverland always used to get cold when away in the camper until I told her to try a hat one night. She thought I was being a bit silly at first, because she'd never heard of such a thing, wearing a hat to bed! Now she wears her little merino hat every night and hasn't complained of cold since.

OLO
www.onelifeoverland.com

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE