Thinking about a bivvi bag to go with my tarp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

cipherdias

Settler
Jan 1, 2014
Wales
Looking to lighten the load of carrying a 3kg tent if possible so I have bought a DD Hammocks 3x3 tarp and now thinking to team that up with a lightweight bivvi bag to add some extra protection for my sleeping bag.

Been looking at Alpkit, Snugpak, and British army issue Goretex bags but unsure what to get!

If someone can point me in the right direction that would be helpful.

Iam a big lad, sleep warm, always change into dry night clothing and have a 3 season down sleeping bag I will be using.

Suggestions on a postcard to......

Cheers guys

DW

Sent from my SM-T515 using Tapatalk

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I’ve got the Snugpak SF and British Army. The latter is bigger when packed but it’s the one I prefer as it’s roomier at the foot end. I always feel restricted in the Snugpak like my feet are shackled together.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Sorry.

I own both too and recommend the Snugpak Special Forces bivvy bag.

It's far lighter and with the zipper more comfortable.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
I own both the Snugpak SF bivvy bag and a surplus brit army one.

Snugpak: really light, packs smaller than a can of coke. Can feel narrow. Not as robust as the brit army one. I have the one without the zip.

Brit army surplus: cheap. Wide and long, very robust. If you buy surplus, make sure you check the seam tape all the way down to the bottom! No zip.

Which one do I carry most? Its about equal and depends on the type of trip I'm going on. Hard use, longer duration? Brit army. Weight a big consideration, warmer months of the year? Snugpak.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I would recommend getting a Brit army bivvy to see if you like that type of sleeping. A lot of people don’t. You can pick up new ones on eBay quite cheap. They can be modded if you like it or buy a different one based on your experiences.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
What's the weight of the British army bivvy bag? If it's to replace ' 3 kg tent you don't want it+ tarp + bungies to weigh as much.
Good point that!

A large tarp and bivvy bag, bungees and pegs can soon add up in weight.

Oz make lbs and lbs make pain......

My tarp set up has no cord at all, I carry a hank of 2mm dyneema type cord and I use as required. The cord is cheap so I don't mind the waste. Bungees are super heavy and weigh even more when wet. They can also fail, resulting is some serious injuries!

Pegs? I make them in situ as required for my tarp set up. If im going somewhere where I can't pitch my tarp, I take my tent or just roll out a bivvy bag and sleep under the stars!

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Or go traditional either with one or the other “only” just with a basha and no bivi bag since you have bought that first.
Even lighter and that size basha will cover you well enough.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Good point that!

A large tarp and bivvy bag, bungees and pegs can soon add up in weight.

Oz make lbs and lbs make pain......

My tarp set up has no cord at all, I carry a hank of 2mm dyneema type cord and I use as required. The cord is cheap so I don't mind the waste. Bungees are super heavy and weigh even more when wet. They can also fail, resulting is some serious injuries!

Pegs? I make them in situ as required for my tarp set up. If im going somewhere where I can't pitch my tarp, I take my tent or just roll out a bivvy bag and sleep under the stars!

I've never used pegs with my basha but yeah that would definitely add weight quickly.

My sturdier bivvy bag is quite heavy though, which is why it occurred to me.

Reactions: Van-Wild

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
bitish Army bivi for me, I've had a snugpak strotosphere (hooped bivi, not my thing just felt like a claustrophobic tent), a dutch army one (a bit heavy, but had a velcro flap for getting in and out) and a rab survival zone (not waterproof enough and flimsy, but light). The british army one is a good size and robust, maybe a little heavy but not OTT.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Yep but a flimsy bivvi bag will soon get damaged underneath unless you carry a sheet of some kind and therefor have added weight anyway.
I've always had my sleeping pad underneath (i.e. outside) the bivvy bag, so less of an issue for me. The openness of the tarp+bivvy bag is part of the appeal to me (unless there are bity shites around), so then the weight is less of an issue, but if someone is looking to get a tarp + bivvy specifically to cut weight compared to their 3kg tent, then that's obviously something to keep in mind. :)

Reactions: Aneirin
Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Looking to lighten the load of carrying a 3kg tent if possible so I have bought a DD Hammocks 3x3 tarp and now thinking to team that up with a lightweight bivvi bag to add some extra protection for my sleeping bag.

Been looking at Alpkit, Snugpak, and British army issue Goretex bags but unsure what to get!

If someone can point me in the right direction that would be helpful.

Iam a big lad, sleep warm, always change into dry night clothing and have a 3 season down sleeping bag I will be using.

Suggestions on a postcard to......

Cheers guys

DW

Sent from my SM-T515 using Tapatalk
If you are looking for light weight under cover, dont get the full bivvy, get the bivvy cover such as the difference between

Lighter cheaper and more breathable.

MikeE

Sep 12, 2005
Essex
Endicotts used to recondition Dutch army bivvys and put a short zip in them, may be worth a look?

cipherdias

Settler
Jan 1, 2014
Wales
Does anyone have an idea of the weight of one of these?

As I said I am currently lugging around a tent that's just under 3 Kgs, and sleeping bag that's nearly 2 Kgs and trying to reduce weight.

The bivi even with accessories is less than 1 kg so I am goping to get a sleeping bag that's between 1kg and 1.5kg without spending a fortune!

Also any idea what the MTP British army bivi bag weighs in at?

I am aiming to get the three items at or around 3.5kg max if possible
2499f07958fff9c768f358579e98a090.jpg
2b47d4f3dac3a557166eb332bc3bc1c6.jpg

Endicotts used to recondition Dutch army bivvys and put a short zip in them, may be worth a look?
I have one of these. Or at least o think its dutch. It has a Superlight bivvi section with a heavier canvas section at the top with fold in flaps. Hard to describe but essentially means it all rolls up into a type of swag/bedroll.

I have the sleeping bag, roll mat (or under blanket if hammocking), bivi, sleep bag liner and pillow all rolled up together. So after my tarp is erected it literally takes seconds to setup my bed.....just unroll and your good to go.

And as I choose to use a jungle bag a super lightweight package.

OLO
www.onelifeoverland.com

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE