Things I learned this very wet weekend

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

darrenleroy

Nomad
Jul 15, 2007
London
My brother and I spent two days wild camping in the New Forest (you can see a couple of vids here):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gsg07MEyWw0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3RmrQo_-0o

I've never been wild camping in such miserable conditions but I've learnt some valuable lessons. We arrived on Friday around 4.30pm and all was dry but with the forecast for wet and windy weather to come over the weekend. After a swift pint at the Royal Oak (great beer) we hiked into the forest to our little camp ground. There was plenty of dry wood around and after my bro set his DD hammock up and I set my DD tarp up we collected enough for the evening meal and more for breakfast.

Lesson one: keep firewood dry, and make sure you have plenty of kindling and tinder for the next day. We forgot to cover our collected wood which made getting it lit the next day in the rain a lot harder. The flame has to work harder because it first has to dry the wood out before it catches the flame. When you have a critical mass of heat and fuel this isn't problematic but getting a fire going with damp fuel is almost impossible. While I persevered my bro found some hanging dead wood which I set about batoning into thinner pieces to expose the dry inside. We also scraped off the wet bark with our knives. Once we had a fist-full it caught easily (with the use of a couple of firelighters. I know this is cheating but I was grateful I'd brought them as back up to my pine cones that didn't burn with enough intensity to cause the kindling to catch).

Lesson two: be gentle with tent pegs. In my rush to put up my tarp I smacked the pegs that came with the DD tarp too hard and bent them. New Forest soil is notoriously flinty and has loads of tough roots just under the top soil. The next day I moved my tarp (more on that in a minute) and, using a wrist thick log as a hammer I more gently tapped them into the ground and they stayed just about straight. Next time I'll invest in half a dozen hardcore pegs. I also whittled two pegs from sticks. These were the heavy duty pegs that secured the paracord that the tarp poles in place. It was fun to do and they went in the ground with no problem.

Lesson three: choose your location wisely. I chose a spot under a tree in a body length sized indentation (perhaps caused by a fallen tree that had since rotted out). In the horrendous rain that followed my going to bed I was kept awake by the big splats of rain that collected on the leaves and branches and fell onto my tarp. I should have brought ear plugs and moved my tarp into the open where there rain drops are smaller having fallen straight from the sky rather than collecting and gaining volume on the tree leaves. I was kept awake all night by the noise. The next night when I moved I slept straight through.

I also awoke to see the formation of a little stream just in front of me. The ground was become sodden and wanted to flow downhill, right into the dell I was occupying. I moved to higher, firmer ground.

It never really gets that windy in the forest because there are too many trees to stop the wind picking up speed. So a tarp works quite well, even if you are facing the wind. I set my sleeping bag about a foot back from the entrance and stayed dry all night. In open country this could be problematic though. Pitching the tarp lower to the ground would help but would make getting in and out a bit harder. My was pitched high enough that I could sit up.

We did hear the sound of a tree or big branch snap off further into the forest during the night. It was a powerful sound. A dull crack.

I used my Snugpak Elite 3 sleeping bag, a poncho for a ground sheet, a Neo Air mattress (extra large) and I kept a spare poncho to wear in the downpours.

I started off wearing my Roamers desert boots but as soon as the ground got wet I switched to a pair of clumpy waterproof hiking boots. Less comfy but less likely to result in wet feet.

One thing I thought of was just how hard it is to do things in wet weather without adequate shelter. It's no fun being out in the rain doing menial tasks. I think prehistoric peoples built huts with internal hearths for this reason. The cooking and warmth generation needed to be out of the elements, which necessitated decent sized huts as we see in Celtic and Anglo-Saxon history.

I think that is all. It was a brilliant camp and the inclement weather actually made it more fun. It was a good test of our own personal resolves (I wanted to go home when I woke up on Saturday morning fatigued, with headache and facing a little stream and wet firewood) and made me appreciate the power of nature all the more.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
That's an excellent account and some good thoughts there Darren. Thanks for posting. I too have learned the value of kindling, and I now always pack more than I think I will need, and in several types. Fuel can be found, but getting the fire started is the problem.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Well i pitched up n top of a hill (well off the top a bit behind a slightly fallen wall that offered much less wind resistance then you'd think especially as the wind shifts around during the night. Anyway that was at about 600+ metres up! Did you know it got to force 7 winds? Did you also know a square, flat tarp can withstand force 7 winds / gusts even sideways on? Anyway my pitch was in a cave type pitch so it coped ok. Wouldn't recommend it though. Rain is very noisy when in the open and wind driven. Wind is very noisy when it is blowing strongly. Earplugs are a necessity IMHO.

It was a fun weekend to be out in it though. I hope you enjoyed your trip out like I did. Its fun to challenge yourself by being out in the weather sometimes. That's how you learn what you can cope with and what your gear can cope with too.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
If it aint raining, it aint training! Harsh conditions make learning lessons that much easier.... Sounds like you gained alot from it, not least come sunday night the satisfaction of having survived it!

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
The best bit I learnt was the US firm called Backcountry Pantry make a really nice dehydrated meal called wild sets chilli and beans. I had a double pack on Saturday night and it was actually rather nice. Very nice I'd say. Although I'm glad I had no fire as it could have been a bit like the cowboy bit of the film Blazing Saddles. You know where on guys asks the boss for more beans and he says "I think you've had enough!" while wafting the air!!

Its a fun thing to do on a nice (or more like a not that bad) evening in the mist on top of a hill in your bivvy under a tarp. All snug and warm but with your arms out so you can make a brew, eat your dinner or snack and listening to music whilst reading a good book. All the while you could just look up to check on the weather and look out at what's around. Brilliant! I can't think why I don't get out more often despite the wet weather. Why do I only go out if the weather looks good or at least ok? I should be out more often I think.

BPR_MiK

Jul 8, 2011
Derby
www.flickr.com
I learnt this weekend to take a book instead of just thinking you will find enough to do..Camping near the top of kinder scout with no fire and no book or anything with the rain not stopping from 17:00 was a little tedious :(

BPR_MiK

Jul 8, 2011
Derby
www.flickr.com
Especially when i`m so bad at putting up my tarp in the wind and rain :)
5946609998_4484583d24.jpg

darrenleroy

Nomad
Jul 15, 2007
London
Especially when i`m so bad at putting up my tarp in the wind and rain :)
5946609998_4484583d24.jpg

Ha ha. Woeful! You should have spent your spare time reconfiguring your tarp! I know what you mean about a book. I always carry one with me. Although when using real fire there always seems to be something to do: collecting wooding, chopping or sawing, swearing at the unlightable tinder, that sort of thing.

Seriously, the time just slips away outside when around the fire. Whittling pegs, poking the fire, sharpening knives. It adds another dimension and is all-consuming which is relaxing in its own way.

tenderfoot

Nomad
May 17, 2008
north west uk
" We did hear the sound of a tree or big branch snap off further into the forest during the night. It was a powerful sound. A dull crack. "

Are you sure that was a tree and not your local firearms enthusiast/poacher? There is an element of risk bivvying in woods where other users may not be expecting you to be there! Still i dont suppose your bivvy is Og or Dpm so theyd probably be able to see you and avoid any accidents?

BPR_MiK

Jul 8, 2011
Derby
www.flickr.com
Ha ha. Woeful! You should have spent your spare time reconfiguring your tarp! I know what you mean about a book. I always carry one with me. Although when using real fire there always seems to be something to do: collecting wooding, chopping or sawing, swearing at the unlightable tinder, that sort of thing..

Yeah i did actually re-do my tarp later...when it stopped raining for 10 mins :)

Also we were way too far away from timber or anything really burnable for a fire :( If i could have i would have believe me but carrying wood up a big hill aswell as all my kit is a twig too far :)

darrenleroy

Nomad
Jul 15, 2007
London
" We did hear the sound of a tree or big branch snap off further into the forest during the night. It was a powerful sound. A dull crack. "

Are you sure that was a tree and not your local firearms enthusiast/poacher? There is an element of risk bivvying in woods where other users may not be expecting you to be there! Still i dont suppose your bivvy is Og or Dpm so theyd probably be able to see you and avoid any accidents?

My tarp is indeed OG as is my brother's hammock. I hadn't considered the crack of a round being fired. It was a duller, bigger more natural sound than that, although I can't rule it out completely. I'm not sure much poaching takes place in the Forest either. Anyone care to elucidate on the topic?

darrenleroy

Nomad
Jul 15, 2007
London
Yeah i did actually re-do my tarp later...when it stopped raining for 10 mins :)

Also we were way too far away from timber or anything really burnable for a fire :( If i could have i would have believe me but carrying wood up a big hill aswell as all my kit is a twig too far :)

Very good point. I forgot about that and a lesson worth remembering! No firewood but a stunning view I'm sure (once the rain clears).

darrenleroy

Nomad
Jul 15, 2007
London
Looks good. But i didnt think you where allowed to camp n the New Forest?

Quite right. But I take a political stance on nature and wild camp anyway. What's the worst that could happen; by a freak of chance a ranger, out in the woods at night on patrol (do they do such a thing?) happens to walk into our well concealed camp and, if he decides to be extra officious, asks us to move on? I'll take that risk for a night or two in the beloved forests that were stolen from us by conquering crooks. I leave no rubbish and almost no mark of my time there.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE