Thin Cheap Rubber Supplier?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Im after a couple of square metres of some thin rubber to line an old fibreglass Nato box.
Anyone know where I can source some?

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I think I just typed rubber sheet in to ebay and sorted price lowest, the realy thin stuff is sold as latex sheet and around 0.40mm thick, that is used in the kinky stuff and quite pricy. Cant work out how to do a link at the mo as I am now swinging in the hammock in the garden and my tablet is stupid

Oct 5, 2009
Sheffield
I'm not sure what the end-goal is here but another option might be liquid latex. Available online and from various model/art shops it can be applied in layers and forms a seamless skin of rubber.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Its all a bit expensive. [£10 for a 3mx1m pond liner is the cheapest I've found]

Its for an old nato fibreglass and plastic box which was used to transport radio equipment.
Quite heavy and sturdy. Still got the O ring around the inside edge and is waterproof. with ten screw down locks.
Quite large as well. So will come in handy for axes, and bow saws, as well as other tools.

181194646117_1.jpg

The inside is fibreglass, covered in a grey sticky material, which Ive mostly scraped off, with heat gun/thinners. But its a mess, and needs lining before I add tools. [could have been some kind of insulation, but was like sticky chewing gum.

I may end up cutting up rubble sacks. Or maybe those old royal mail sacks, grey, made from similiar stuff to the garden sacks the council leave you for green waste.

Unless anyone has any other bright ideas what I could use? :)

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Only just spotted this one: I have in the past used sheet rubber to line things and I went to the local tyre fitters and bought large inner tubes (tractor/lorry). More often than not they've got stuff that's clean and good but they're not allowed to re-use for commercial vehicles and they'll give you those..............strong, easy to cut to shape and glue and light; and the trimmings go into your fire kit.......................atb mac

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I mentioned it to my neighbour, and he kindly brought a good size sheet of 1mx2m green thin foam round the other night which was perfect.

My tools are normally kept better than that btw. Just in the middle of sorting a few old ones out.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE