Thigh rolling cordage

  • The awesome MakerMoot is coming up (13-15th Nov 2026), Visit the TORM & ARM markets,and have space back at camp to work on projects and enjoy great company. PLEASE CLICK HERE for more information.

Sappy

Forager
Nov 28, 2011
155
0
Braemar
Been playing about with cordage today, and I've noticed something that makes me think my technique was wrong.

I made 5 6 ft lenghs of normal thigh rolled cordage and 5 6ft lenghs of thigh rolled cordage that I occasionally spread the ends to tighten the cord up such as ulyou do when making rope.

The cord that I had tightened up even of the same diameter was nearly twice the breaking strain of the normal stuff and a pilot more durable.

Every guide I have read about thigh rolling cordage says nothing about spreading the ends as it negates the advantage you get from thigh rolling.

So the question is, Is thigh rolled cordage just to make w poorer quality cord a lot quicker or am I doing something wtlrong?

Cheers
 
I back roll every couple of foot which tightens up the lay, something related to me as a Hadsa bushman tecnique, it works very well to beaten up the lay and increase the strength.
 

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE