Thickest, warmest wool socks, who makes 'em!?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stuey

Sep 13, 2011
High Peak
www.arb-tek.co.uk
Heratex. +1 Made by a small company in Austria.
I get them delivered to the guesthouse we stay in when we go over in January. By far the hardest wearing and thickest/warmest of my wool socks.
Bridgedale high wool mix would be the next hardest wearing but not the next warmest.
My original sea boot hose that I had from you Chris are not quite as robust as the heratex ones but are definitely the second warmest ones I own.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

kelster

Mar 13, 2012
London
I have heatholder socks and they are thick and warm. I rate them but perhaps not for extensive walking when feet can sweat and in the cold, that's unhelpful. I also own Bridgedale Summit. Again great socks, but if used alone the feet can become cold ironically; layered for extreme cold only. For damp UK weather my preferred solution is a Bridgedale liner (cool max) coupled with another layer, sometimes a thin merino wool sock. Best of luck - cold damp feet are a horrible experience. Mostly for those around us!

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I went a bit mad and ordered 8 pairs of those swedish surplus socks. Hope theyre good, or they'll be wrapped as chrissy pressies for someone.:D

:offtopic: hardly seems worth its own thread, but can you get swedish surplus wool boxers, or surplus merino boxers?

Theyre the one thing which seem mega expensive.

I bought some surplus swedish cold weather long johns, [new, i hasten to add] but they were made from cotton, which seemed strange?

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Well, after spending £40 on these socks, the first batch arrived this morning.

I had to recheck the ebay listing, to see the description again.
New without tags
New without tags: A brand-new, unused and unworn item

This is what greeted me when i opened the packet::mad:

IMG_1057_zpsd84ff552.jpg
[/URL]

The others dont look new either. They've ALL been used. Theyve been worn. All are stained. And some dont even match up as pairs.

Obviously the seller will be paying for my return postage.

Sellers name is bootesville dont trust with a bargepole.

In fact, i dont even see why I should have to repackage and travel all the way to the post office wasting my time and petrol. He can send a courier to pick em up, or he can give me a full refund and let me keep em.

He's in breach of the 1967 misrepresentation act.

[What really genuinely amazes me is that hes sold a load, so presumably there will be people who just accept this]

Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
That's disgraceful, you're right to stand your ground and make him eat some, you can't lie down for this sort of behaviour but too many do............atb mac

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Well, after spending £40 on these socks, the first batch arrived this morning.

I had to recheck the ebay listing, to see the description again.

This is what greeted me when i opened the packet::mad:

IMG_1057_zpsd84ff552.jpg
[/URL]

The others dont look new either. They've ALL been used. Theyve been worn. All are stained. And some dont even match up as pairs.

Obviously the seller will be paying for my return postage.

Sellers name is bootesville dont trust with a bargepole.

In fact, i dont even see why I should have to repackage and travel all the way to the post office wasting my time and petrol. He can send a courier to pick em up, or he can give me a full refund and let me keep em.

He's in breach of the 1967 misrepresentation act.

[What really genuinely amazes me is that hes sold a load, so presumably there will be people who just accept this]

All mine are pristine mate and dont look worn. I agree that is deffo not acceptable though. hope you get sorted.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
I went for two pairs.
Not as bad as yours Dave, but deffo not new.
Very good build quality , however I do not like the sewn ridge on the toe end, I fear rubbing will result.
Will keeps these two but will not order more and will reflect the condition in the feed back.

C.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I ordered the "natural" colour - got 4 pairs. They seem fine - some are even still attached at the top - certainly no wear like yours Dave - mine seem fine for wearing under riggers in the Winter - sorry to hear others have problems - I wouldn't put up with that!

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
I haven't the slightest idea who makes the best or the thickest or the warmest but you will need to have boots large enough to accommodate them and your foot, too, or your boot will be too tight. Then your foot will be colder than it will be with thinner socks. At least, that's the theory. I have a several pairs of different socks, including some British white arctic socks. Fit is crucial. Thicker socks don't seem to fit as snugly and if you do a lot of walking, they can rub a little, especially if they get a little damp (like if you went in over your boot tops). But you'll live.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE