Thickest, warmest wool socks, who makes 'em!?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
I live in wool socks, all year round.
I have loads of different pairs, but I have a question, one that is often asked of me, and I want to hear your views pleae!
( I will tell you mine at the end! )
Looking to learn from the 'hive' mind!
Who makes the thickest, warmest wool ( or atleast 80% wool ) socks out there!
Ideas cats?

Best.

da C.:)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
The green army wool mix are fine for everyday knocking about, the white Arctic socks are also good. Bridgedale are another good standard sock but if I'm honest about two years ago I picked up some synthetic 'winter warmer' socks and they are very very good but they wear out quicker than wool/wool mix; that said at a quid a pair ... In winter I put a pair over wool socks and stay toasty warm.

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
The thicker they are the harder they are to dry. Better to wear 2 pairs of normal walking Socks, a long inner pair and a short outer pair in a larger size than you usually wear.
Layering socks is much more versatile and allows for the use of VBL layers etc.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Just ordered some of the swedish ones. thanks for the heads up. Ill be pleased if they are twice as thick as the brit arctic ones.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Yep I've ordered a few pairs too. Love the British Artic ones - I live in riggers and wellies and they are great in both.

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
I agree with Imagedude on the layering of socks. I always do that, and I can´t remember last time my feet where really cold.
If I need to "sandwich" my feet, I put the plastic between the layers.

I love these ones, and hardly buy any other type of "outer sock" anymore :http://www.sandefjordsko.no/katalog/tilbehor/sokker/national/id/05931
I´ve had these since I was a child, and always return to them. I am almost obsessed with them and collect them whenever I can in fear that they will stop producing them one day... :eek:

These ones where a nice surprise: http://www.aclima.no/products/sox/warmwool-socks
I bought a pair last year, and I think it´s the fastest drying socks I´ve had. My feet have been soaked walking in marshes, but I haven´t even bothered changing socks when I´ve worn these. They dry up quickly on your feet while walking.
I will definitely buy more of these :)

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Have any of you tried doing this? :eek:

[video=youtube;rIXvVemgEKA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIXvVemgEKA[/video]

Salaud

Nomad
Aug 24, 2011
isle of man
I live in wool socks, all year round.
I have loads of different pairs, but I have a question, one that is often asked of me, and I want to hear your views pleae!
( I will tell you mine at the end! )
Looking to learn from the 'hive' mind!
Who makes the thickest, warmest wool ( or atleast 80% wool ) socks out there!
Ideas cats?

Best.

da C.:)

Simple answer to this one.....My Mum, and no you cant have any, theyre all for me...:lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE