Thermometer To Record Lowest Night Temp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

markie*mark0

Settler
Sep 21, 2010
warrington
Im looking for a low cost way to record the temp when im out.

Seen some old threads but nothing "recent" with working links. Anyone know of a cheap solution?

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
You can get a cheap mechanical plastic greenhouse thermometer for about £2 that will record max and min.

I've been through 4 electronic ones so far and all have failed at low temps.

I keep looking at the iButtons but I find them all a bit confusing.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I bought one of these a couple of years ago, it survived the freezer test okay but it's not been cold enough to warrant packing it since.

Linky

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
These are superb... nothing really to go wrong on them.

attachment.php

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I got a number of i buttons, had them a few years think i'll get one of those USB readers as I only got a serial port reader. thanks for the link

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
That was not possible with the one I had, the overlap was large enough that if I were to push hard it would have broken something. There was no pinging.

Sounds like you got a dud.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I got a number of i buttons, had them a few years think i'll get one of those USB readers as I only got a serial port reader. thanks for the link

Do you know what I would need to get to read the iButton from my PC or phone? Is it the USB reader?

mitch66

Nomad
Mar 8, 2010
king's lynn norfolk
hi, i used a battery themometer at the weekend to record the night time low. hail, rain and the battery went flat, lol i know what a plonker. i will put a new battery in next time and take a spare.

HarrogateTobias

Feb 4, 2011
Heaton, Newcastle
got one off DX.com for under 2 quid, i have it hanging out of the velux window. Ive had a little play with it and its really good. i throw the 50cm wire into the room and it has adjusted in 10-20 seconds. if you hold it to bare skin it reacts very quick.

Its a messy setup but i was also measuring rainfall (other brown tape)

(edit) link helps http://dx.com/p/digital-compact-lcd-thermometer-with-outdoors-remote-sensor-15553

IMAG1295.jpg

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Used to be able to get high and low thermometers to record the extremes of outdoor temperature. Dunno how they worked but the register would stick at the lowest temperature and then another register would stick at the highest. I expect you would get them at garden centres.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE