Thermarest slow leak

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jonny the monkey

Tenderfoot
May 12, 2014
Lincolnshire
Alright guys, looking for a little advice incase anyone else has hit the same problem.

I've got a thermarest self inflating mattress thats developed a slow leak but I'll be damned if I can find where the hole is!

I had the thing submerged in the bath earlier today, inflated as much as possible and checked it in sections whilst scrunching up the ends I wasn't looking at. Flipped it over and gave the underside the same treatment, even put some soap around the valve to see if it would produce some bubbles.

I can't find a thing wrong with it except when I wake up in the morning and I'm laying on a layer of compressed foam :confused:

My ex had a hole in hers and we submerged it in a river, it was immediately obvious where the hole was as bubbles were gushing out of it!

Today is almost over but tomorrow I'm gonna try again in the bath and hold the mat down with some weights and see if a bubble forms over time. Failing that has anybody else got any ideas?

Cheers

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Try inflating it really firm then put a soapy solution over all of it. A bubble may well form very slowly where the puncture is

Last edited:

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
I think you sound like you have done all the right things.

Contact Thermarest customer service. See what they say

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jonny the monkey

Tenderfoot
May 12, 2014
Lincolnshire
This is where I'm at this morning, doing it in sections. It took 27kg to submerge 1/3rd of it!

14894466357_ddeed96b51_b.jpg

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I would guess at pin ***** hole or 2, worst case would be porous fabric in which case it is knackered, this is unlikely though. How old is it?

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
It might be worth contacting cascade design if you find the fabric is porous, its an outside chance but they may be able to help

jonny the monkey

Tenderfoot
May 12, 2014
Lincolnshire
I've taken the mat out of the bath, no joy finding the leak. I've sent an email to their UK claims department. I'll let you know of any outcome. If I had to buy another one it wouldn't be the end of the world. I've certainly had some service out of that one :)

Oh and in reply to Mesquite, I'll try the soap all over tomorrow as well. Just realised its time to head out to work! :rolleyes:

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
When I worked with inflatables (boats, lifejackets and life rafts) we would use a plant sprayer filled with water and fairy liquid, quite strong mix and never failed to find the source of the leak, and that was on fabric similar to thermarests, pvc and hyperlon

jonny the monkey

Tenderfoot
May 12, 2014
Lincolnshire
Thats a good tip, I reckon one of those plant mister handheld spray bottles should have the same effect. Theres bound to be one round here somewhere.

In hindsight it might make it foam up too much... but its certainly worth a shot

Last edited:

jonny the monkey

Tenderfoot
May 12, 2014
Lincolnshire
I've sent cascade designs an email, the chap there said I'd done everything he would normally advise people to do and my best bet is to send it in for them to take a look. Hopefully I'll have the time in the morning to get it down to the post office and sent off for inspection :)

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Any news on this yet Jonny? You only really know how good a company is when you see how they handle issues like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jonny the monkey

Tenderfoot
May 12, 2014
Lincolnshire
I haven't heard anything yet but the guy I emailed said in his reply that it can take up to 4 weeks from the day I post it. Also the address they provide is so they can group multiple items together in the UK and then ship them all at once to Ireland where they handle the warranty or repairs.

Last edited:

jonny the monkey

Tenderfoot
May 12, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funnily enough I got a phone call this afternoon :D They said the back of the mat was littered with pin ***** holes and that it cannot be repaired but they can offer me a replacement for £25. Sounded good enough to me so I took them up on the offer. If I hadn't sent it to them, I would have ended up buying another one anyway. As a plus this replacement mat is also covered by their warranty in case anyone was thinking of sending one off to them.

It took 12 days to hear any feedback and I posted it royal mail second class, I'm happy enough with that. I'll let you guys know when it gets here :)

jonny the monkey

Tenderfoot
May 12, 2014
Lincolnshire
It became noticeable in Spain where we came across a lot of things that seemed to like producing thorns of varying sizes. I thought I had always made sure of clearing the ground where we were to lay the tent though, especially if it was a drier, spikier area.

I suppose it could have been an ongoing problem with enough tiny holes building up over time to then make a noticeable decrease in performance apparent. If thats the case I've had it lain out on all kinds of surfaces over the last few years. I would guess I've clocked at least 2 years of continuous use out of it at least!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE