Thermarest NeoAir vs Exped Downmat

Sep 17, 2010
Somerset
Hi Guys
I'm thinking of getting a new mat and both the Downmat and Neoair have good reviews. It looks like the Downmat is MUCH warmer (8R vs 2.5R ~ whatever that means) although quite a bit heavier and bulkier than the Neoair although still lighter and less bulky than a "normal" self inflating mat. Anyone got experience of both and able to give a comparative reccomendation?
Cheers
Richard

gordonmac

Nomad
Oct 15, 2009
Caithness, Scotland
gordonmac.com
Hi,

Main reason for me dismissing the DownMat was both the weight and bulk. I use a 50 ltr GoLite Jam rucksack, so every little bit of space counts. For winter trips especially, I'd rather use that extra space for more clothes an food, particularly if I'm not sacrificing too much insulation by choosing the NeoAir.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I travel as light as I can go. If I had a choice, bag or exped mat, I'd take the mat. I can always wear clothes, but the total insulation and warmth from below is worth the 1.4kg weight. I think if I were carrying often though I'd buy the slightly shorter one, I've got the 9cm thick long one, and since I'm only 5'2" there's a lot of spare space at the head and foot in mine.
Russ was impressed by the Neoair, didn't feel as robust as the exped though, but if you choose your ground carefully.....

cheers,
Toddy

gordonmac

Nomad
Oct 15, 2009
Caithness, Scotland
gordonmac.com
A short DownMat may just be the best compromise of all!

Russ was impressed by the Neoair, didn't feel as robust as the exped though, but if you choose your ground carefully.....

This was my biggest concern. If the NeoAir fails then there is nothing to fall back on, like there is with the down, and the foam inside the Alpkit Airic.

Thanks Toddy :)

Sep 17, 2010
Somerset
Everybody's a noob at some time. :)
Execelent, thanks guys, this has proved very helpful. Still undecided but I think I'll go for comfort over weight/bulk (although thats the opposite direction to how I've been going recently...)
Also the Downmats look tougher than the Neoair, any truth to this?
Cheers
Richard

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Seen a short downmat7 for £49 at nordic outdoors worth a punt? how do tall people get by with short mats? I a 196cm but reckon a 120cm mat with my head on a pillow off one end and my lower legs on my sack and I'd be ok. Its your torso that needs most insulation right? 120cm friom just about my shoulders would reach to exactly my knees. Would that be long enough to cope with for me? Would a rucksack in winter be sufficient under the legs?

hemdale

Nomad
Jan 30, 2012
London
...and here is a little blast from the past :lmao: but maybe a dumb question as well ;)

On the Downmat UL series, is the black side or grey side facing the ground ?
In other words, meaning that the Exped logo applied on the grey honeycomb fabric is facing up and then, the valves are facing the ground.

Thanks chaps.

beamdune

Oct 14, 2005
Manchester
Comparing the Exped Downmat and (standard) Thermarest Neoair doesn't seem a like-for-like comparison.

What about the Synmat Ultralight?

Synmat (medium)183 x 52 x 7474g3.5
Neoair (regular)183 x 51 x 6.3396g2.5

I've just spent the weekend on mine. It doesn't feel a robust as the regular synmat, width seems fine but the fabric is slippy. I think I'm going to try applying a few stripes of silicone sealant for grip before using it again.

It deflates and packs easily back into the stuffsack. Packsize is smaller than a nalgene 1L bottle.

Edit: crap - didn't realise this was another old thread! I only spotted the date on hemdale's post.

Last edited:

Jaan

Forager
Apr 22, 2011
Tallinn, Estonia
I have the SynMat in medium size. R-value is 4.9 and weight is around 850g.

I've never understood why people choose the DownMat. For extreme winter camping maybe, but for wet weather in 3 seasons the synthetic version seems to be less flimsy. That said the SynMat is also rated at -17C.

In any case, don't compare the two. As mentioned above, there's a SynMat UL version, which is much more comparable.

For me personally the decision was between a Therm-a-Rest ProLite Plus and the SynMat. Can't beat 7,5cm of thickness.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE