The youth of today :)

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I have just spent a very pleasant morning, working in a park near the school where I work.

We have been planting trees and "building" a living willow shelter.

A group of kids, from my year group (8) have given up their morning for this worthwhile task, so next time you think "Bl**dy kids!" just remember they are not all the same!
DSCN2943.jpg

DSCN2950.jpg

Simon

NatG

Settler
Apr 4, 2007
Southend On Sea
year 8? give it time:D by year nine you'll all be hanging around in the park drinking strongbow out of plastic bottles and eating hot dogs out of tins.

seriosuly though, good to see young people out there doing something constructive

SiWhite

Nomad
Apr 1, 2007
Deepest North Hampshire
I was pleasantly surprised the other day - OH and I were out for a walk when two 'hoodys' walked past with a ratty old motorbike. I deal with these sort all day everyday at work so I tend to assume the worst.

"Good Morning" one chirped as we drew level. You could have knocked me down with a feather. Lesson learned on my part!

VirusKiller

Nomad
Jul 16, 2007
Hogsty End
Kids just want to be treated as people, so the best thing to do is to engage with them rather than ignore or shun them. Personally, I think growing up today is harder than it's ever been; the psychological pressures on our kids are immense. My 70's/80's childhood was tame by comparison.

K

kedwould

yeah thats true they are not all the same, but what about the older folk aswell that pour out the pubs, trying to fight with bins and signs and all those ***** who just litter the countryside, it's not the age it's what goes on in their stupid heads!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Nice to see:D
As a Scout Leader this is mo surprise to me

Thing is, it does surprise me!

I have spent the last 3 years working with some of the worst behaved kids in the country, in a residential school setting, and now run a behaviour support centre in a mainstream school, so tend to expect the worst of anyone under 16!

It's nice to proven wrong though!

Simon

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Just a quick update on this.

The arbour has been vandalised several times now:( , and each time has been painstakingly restored by local volunteers.

I am happy to say that we are at a stage where new growth is being woven into the structure, and that vandalism seems to be dropping off.

Picture taken earlier today...
P1010014.jpg

Simon

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire

The arbour has been vandalised several times now:( , and each time has been painstakingly restored by local volunteers.

I am happy to say that we are at a stage where new growth is being woven into the structure, and that vandalism seems to be dropping off.

P1010014.jpg

Simon

Looking Good Simon, shame about the few who try and spoil such efforts though

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland

P1010014.jpg

Simon

Hi Simon,
Great work, one thing I learnt early in civic horticulture and forestry is not to let it look too new. Take lables off trees, make it look as "bedded" in as possible and folk tend to leave it alone. Sad but true.
Good work,
Goatboy.

Leonidas

Settler
Oct 13, 2008
Briton
www.mammothblades.com
...............tend to assume the worst.
"Good Morning" one chirped as we drew level. You could have knocked me down with a feather. Lesson learned on my part!

Totally agree, I for one admit that in the past I generally assumed that anything in a hoodie was a thug.
Crazy thing is that since I've started to see some of these same kids as just kids they do seem to be more polite and behaved (Generally).
I believe most kids expect us to give them a hard time, so them getting anti is second nature.

Demonize them and that's what we'll get....demons...Bless em :)

There are always exceptions.....

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
well done Simon. Its good to see the kids getting stuck in to build a shelter to drink their white lightning in.
Im just trying to wind you up hehe! Excellent job. I think some people are just not meant to be in a classroom, they shine best when let outdoors.

ryanmears

Jan 10, 2009
herne bay
thanks for showing us younger generations in a better light were the future of bushcraft and outdoor Knowledge in fact some times learning things like that stop children like me from being 'hoodies' that are a nuisance

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE