The "woolly pully" wool vs acrylic

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
"My great uncle Caleb was a shellback' i.e. a man who had sailed round Cape Horn in the days of sail. He looked like Popeye and was as hard as they come. He taught my mother to knit being an expert at making his own clothes on his long voyages. This he regarded as proper man's work as his view was that a real man could look after himself in all respects at all time and in any circumstances. "

That was still the case when I joined my first ship in 1960, Oldtimer. There were three AB's from the Western Isles, Barra and South Uist I recall. They were all named Donald! Two MacDonalds, and an O'Neil all related, who would sit on number 4 hatch yakking away in Gaelic and knitting furiously. Mostly wooly hats and mittens to wear on lookout on cold nights. :)

Allans865

Nov 17, 2016
East Kilbride
f93a70879b628ebdcc0806b3850a548b.jpg

I have one of these which is 80% wool 20% acrylic, and is a great bit of kit 👍🏼

Thanks,
Allan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I have a number of reasons not to use polyester fleece or acrylic sweaters but the main one is: microplastics. Every time you wash them several hundred thousand particles of microplastics gets washed out into the environment. Exactly how bad these are is still unclear, but why spread them when the natural fiber is at least as good?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microplastics#Potential_impacts_on_the_environment
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/10/071029092034.htm
https://www.naturvardsverket.se/upl...roplastics-to-marine environment-ivl-c183.pdf
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27686821

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Yeah, going through the to carboot pile there's three issue pullys, ones a size one I hot washed to fit a lad when he was about 10, the next ones also small, says 82 cm on the label, I'd say it would fit a 32 chested man, it's hard to judge as they are meant to be worn tight against you. The third says size 3 so I guess about 40 chest, no more. In the same bag was 4 issue hair shirts, 3 grade 1 plus, 2 later green one early Khark coloured, and one looks unissued, green also size 3, buttoned up that measures 23 inches across the chest, the other measure between 22 and 24 inch across the front.

Some folk have trouble with issue wool shirts but despite being allergic to wool dust I never had problems with wearing them straight against the skin. Back in my student days I wore some to death. I've still got one in a huge size 19 that I wear when I'm not quite as fat as I am now. Worth trying if you can find them and don't have sensitive skin.

ATB

Tom

Mowmow

Forager
Jul 6, 2016
Nottinghamshire
So where's the best place to get one of these mythical woolies?

Army surplus stores, I stocked up on a few Swiss army pullovers from anchor supplies in Nottingham but if you look around on the internet you can probably find British army commando jumpers for about a tenner each, although I'd prefer one that you could ventilate a bit more with zippers etc.

The Finnish army surplus shop varusteleka has a very interesting web shop that's usually worth having a look at. Their item descriptions are usually very honest (and funny) so you get a good idea of what you're buying and there's plenty of reviews.
There's also britishmilitarysurplus, militarymart, goarmy. I've purchased stuff off all of these websites and been pretty happy.
If you're after more civilian styled stuff couldn't help but those Swiss army pull overs are pretty neutral I wear mine with my Levi's and docs out n about or at the pub.

Wool is honestly a fantastic material especially for under layers, although it's usually wise to have a thin cotton outer layer just to help protect it from abrasions and catching on brush if you're in thick country. It's also not windproof so a cotton windproof will be wise but if layered well wool on its own be a bonus as the wind will also help control moisture and temp while the wool still does a good job of trapping the hot air close to the skin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mr_magicfingers

May 15, 2012
London
I recently bought one of the dachstein jumpers, fabulous it is but seriously warm, got it from Endicotts who were very helpful at getting me a perfect fit. I'd love to get one of the cardi's as that would be ideal.

Over the years I've switched most of my clothing away from synthetics and to natural fibres, mainly merino wool for T-shirts and jumpers. Not cheap but just kept my eye open for sales at places like Howies and also bought a bunch of stuff from Chocolate Fish Merino when they were still going. My favourite item is a merino and possum cardigan from MKM originals which I pretty much wear all the time on the farm. Warm, fairly windproof and the zip makes it suitable for a wide range of temps. Not cheap but damn good.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE