"the woodcraft folk", heard of them?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonNott

Sep 2, 2011
London
www.woodcraft.org.uk
Hi,

I work for Woodcraft Folk. Our groups are quite diverse - some do a lot of Bushcraft with people who make their living running bushcraft training, quite a few of our volunteer leaders are experienced amateurs and a fair few are working on related things like Forest Schools. On the other extreme, some of our groups focus almost entirely on the (small p) political aspects of encouraging/enabling young people to become active citizens and play their part in society.

The key underlying principles that unite this diverse movement are the values of co-operation and youth empowerment - it genuinely is the young people who decide what their group will focus on.

In terms of the original post, I'd encourage you to get in touch with your local group - our Welsh section "Gwerin y Coed" is one of the fastest growing parts of our movement and has the same diversity within it as the movement UK-wide.

As an aside, I would mention that the history referred to is actually a history of the Woodcraft Folk's relationship with various parts of the left (trade unions, the co-operative movement) rather than a history of the folk as such and as with all histories of that part of British society it does focus on the seemingly ubiquitous splits and factions - it's certainly not an accurate reflection of the current situation. As a registered charity we're resolutely non-party political, but very active in encouraging our young members to take an active part in society.

You can find out more at our website - www.woodcraft.org.uk or look at the bushcraft resources developed by some of our members at http://thebushcraftway.co.uk/

Cheers

Jon

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
Welcome Jon, and thank you for a very balanced and reasonable posting, given some of the previous posts (mine included). Please accept my apologies!

2sheds

May 19, 2011
down Gower
well thanks to all and especially Jon - your reply has told me a lot more than the website from which, i must say, i could not filter the information i was lookiing for. it also balances much of what has been said on here, until your post i would have turned away - i do not do politics at all! i think i was also slightly mis interpreting the name and expecting a bit more "wood" and "craft"!
as seoras suggests i may well "give it a go", nothing to loose really. i guess i was curious, everyone knows of the scout movement, i had not heard of the woodcraft folk. not sure what to think.

Paul

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I find myself agreeing with Tengu on this group, only after reading from the two links provided, Im only one of joe shmow public, but i don't like the ethos behind the group,

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
it all sound a bit BASIL FOTHERINGTON-THOMAS to me eg "hullo clouds hullo sky" ect. chiz chiz. clerely they are wets and weeds i diskard them.

fotherington_thomas.JPG

The very phrase required. I kommend you molesworth

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Is this the latest incarnation of the Order of Woodcraft Chivalry perchance ?

http://uk.ask.com/wiki/Order_of_Woodcraft_Chivalry

Didn't have many of them in Scotland, we just got the standard 'quasi military' Scouts and BB's.

I suspect that without the structure and clear cut rules of those associations that individual groups operate as their membership see fit.
Could be your cup of dandelion coffee, or maybe not.
Only one way to find out though :)

cheers,
Toddy

p.s. and Oi! Richard, I like tofu, it's good food :D

Last edited:

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
Tofu=/=food.

You know all the stuff Bear Grylls eats on TV?
It's because all they have left in the catering van is tofu...

;)

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
I am always intrigued whenever I read "Scouting's growing militarization". As a young Scout during the Vietnam conflict, I experienced the BSA "going through" it's period of negative militaristic sentiment. Now, as a life-long Scouter, I only point to the history of the begining of the Scouting Movement, where Baden-Powell utilized his book, "Aids to Scouting," to develop the organization that guided youth to "good citizenship". It should be noted that "Aids to Scouting" was written by Baden-Powell as a book of instruction for military reconnaissance.

Gordy

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
OFF TOPIC

:rolleyes:

I like braised tofu in a sesame and ume plum sauce :D
I like it as chilli non carne :p
I like it battered and fried and served with pineapple and sweet chilli sauce :)
I like it with roasted veggies with fresh herbs and sea salt.
......it's good food.
I like the bows of skimmed tofu too, chewy and tasty, especially in vegetable stew.
It's own flavour is very delicate, for most folks it needs to be in something that gives it more.
It's easy to make too, and is rich in calcium, etc.,

Animal flesh just does not equate with dinner for me; you can have the steak BR :yuck:

cheers,
Toddy

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
...only if I can take the Tofu off it :)

Flocculated bean curd achieved by addidng calcium sulphate to (normally) genetically modified soya milk........yummy!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's just 'cheese' made from beans :D
Except that it isn't full of antibiotics and growth hormones and such like often fed to cattle.

I think this is one we're never going to agree on BR.

cheers,
M

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Very true Toddy.....I'll go put some mozarella and jalapenos on the steak - you can have my tofu - everyone wins :)

Gotte

Nomad
Oct 9, 2010
Here and there
I've heard of them, and rather liked the notion that they are socially aware. For all the stereotypes of Fotheringtonness, you could throw equal old lady grabbing, dibdib dibber stereotypes at the scouts.
As for the oath, or rather, them not taking the oath, I'm in full agreement. But that's just the anarchist in me.
There's space for everyone.
Give it a go, I say, if you're interested.

william#

Settler
Sep 5, 2005
sussex
i have come accross the woodcraft folk many times
and when i worked in outdoor education full time i had the pleasure of running sessions with them.
honestly the daily mail mind set that is reflected on this thread is just ,frankly,embarrassing.
i would be happy for my child to join the scouts i would equally be happy for them to join the woodlandfolk.
just one of the ideas (just one of many)that i liked about woodland folk was a fostering of the idea that winning is where everyone wins.
not the usual shallow idea of i am bigger better and best pumped to us through the media. but the idea that true winning is achieved through cooperation.
and no its not namby pampy hippy sht - hey look at the scientists who co operated and created the h bomb.

oh and what is this slam a vege idea that is banded about relentlessly in here
i know a an athelete who would kick all your arses and has been vege for years

when i was working in outdoor education we would only serve vege meals not because of any ideaoligy but its just easy to cook and serve without the worry of
food contamination.

this forum use to be really good im so dissapointed.

advise to the op
Join! be aware that any new group will have teething problems (forming storming norming and performing) so be patient get involved
see how it works out for you
in my experiance there is no ideology its just made up of people who strive to get on and go camping with their children.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE