The Wild Gourmets Cook Book

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
P

Pcwizme

I was in The Works (in Brentwood as it happens) and they had the Cook Book from the TV show The Wild Gourmets reduced from £20 to £3.99, now I had to get it cos the show was really good, but what got me was the simple recipies and the easy to read infomation on the methods.
They even go through diffrent ways to "Gather" your meal.

All in all it looks like a good book to go next to my Hugh Fernly-Wittinstalls a Cook in the Wild and Ray Mears Wild Food.

Finally Scores out of 10

Price 10
Info 9 (they dont mention Air Rifles as far as i see)
Quality 10 (best paper i have felt in a book of this price)
Writing Style 10
Over all 9.5 / 10

P

Pcwizme

Richard said:
half way in to this book looking good so far just had a quick look nothing about air rifles but on page 90 that looks like one

Sure does look like one to me too, but i havent seen a mention, have to say the rabbit and apple stew with cider got my taste buds going,

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Good book but poor TV series. I think it was badly edited and the presenters seemed a bit 'awkward' - not entirely their fault because they certainly both know their stuff. I get the feeling that there was a lot of footage show-horned into shortish programmes that had to appeal to a wide variety of viewers.

The book is what the series should have been like. Don't just get it for the cooking, though! Some good ideas on outdoor living too. And, as mentioned above, it looks mighty fine on the bookshelf!

SMOKOE

Forager
Mar 9, 2007
Stoke-on-Trent, Staffs
I know this has been reviewed on another thread, but another good book by Guy Grieve is 'Call Of The Wild' in which he tells of his 12 months in the Alaskan Wilderness; building a log cabin, learning to dog sled, catching beavers, and more.
Well worth a read in IMHO :)

BigM

Forager
Jul 2, 2009
The West
Finally Scores out of 10

Price 10
Info 9 (they dont mention Air Rifles as far as i see)
Quality 10 (best paper i have felt in a book of this price)
Writing Style 10
Over all 9.5 / 10

Don't forget to rate some very nice swimming pics of the Gourmet Girl...

andythecelt

Nomad
May 11, 2009
Planet Earth
Don't forget to rate some very nice swimming pics of the Gourmet Girl...

I'm quite partial to her myself!

I'd have sworn there was a section on air rifles but just checked my copy and the only mention they get is in the squirrel shooting section. Very odd.
I rate it highly as a book though, an excellent read with some cracking recipes. If I absolutely had to criticise it there's a bit where Guy Grieve says if anyone in his camp doesn't wash he forcibly washes them in the nearest pond. It irritated me as a bit... what? Arrogant? Childish? If anyone tried to forcibly wash me I'd forcibly resist with extreme prejudice!
Still, a very good read for all that.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE