The Victorian Farm

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Watched episode 3 on iplayer the other night and they had Owen the swill basket maker, very good. if you missed it this is Owen http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=SHnFockM5ok

Another mate of mine Damian Goodburn felled a tree and did some hewing and pit sawing. He made rather a hash of it and said some naughty words.:)

Had an email from Alex Langland's one of the other presenters today about traditional crafts.

"The series BBC series 'The Victorian Farm' has proved quite a success story so far with the last twp episodes gaining a greater share of viewers than ITV and C4 (surprise, surprise: people are not as interested in celebrity tantrums and car chases as they are in a traditional rural way of life). Most importantly from our perspective is that many people are contacting me wanting to know about how to make baskets, lip salves and hurdles etc. and how, generically, they can employ some of those skills/products in their everyday lives. I'm being asked by the BBC what a follow up series should include and I'm pushing traditional crafts and skills as a core aspect - I'll keep you posted."

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
I watched it quite by chance as it goes. I thought it was OK especially how Owen split up the oak and boiled it to get the individual splints. I thought it was a totally elegant natural way. Apart from making baskets, the same method could be used to get ribs for a canoe, or laths to weave a chair seat. Much easier than the pounding method!
That pit saw was sharp, you could almost feel the zing as it went through the oak gate post. I wish they would of shown a bit better how they prepared the holes and tamped the fence posts in, seeing as they didnt have modern fast concrete? I find that practical stuff fascinating, not so much the academic theories and interpretations. But thankfully there wasnt too much of that. I was impressed how the men seemed to have a natural rapport with the sheep. I am going to watch next episoide and also on the strength of this show got the dvd of the earlier series where they live in a 16th century farm in hereford or somewhere. :)

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
That sounds exciting robin, we have had too much of the DIY/home transformation/cooking/buy and sell auction/ego-tantrum TV (oh and obsession with forensic murder :rolleyes: . I for one am sick and tired of celebrity chefs, so mindnumbingly BORING :) There is so little that is worth watching now. Its about time we had folk on TV like an update of the Jack Hargreaves show (he was a good link man-knew when to comment and when to stand back most of the presenters now just love the sound of there own voices!) and started to look at the stuff which actually regenerates a rural based, craft based non industrial ecomony, instead of treat it like feel good olde tyme museum entertainment.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
At last viewing figures are working in favour of the non brain dead.

It would be great if the programme spawned a few off shoots featuring craftsmen from all over the country who are practising "sustainable production methods".

The presenters on the show have a natural enthusiasm that is a joy to watch. The BBC would do well to make more use of them.:)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Had an email from Alex Langland's one of the other presenters today about traditional crafts.

"The series BBC series 'The Victorian Farm' has proved quite a success story so far with the last twp episodes gaining a greater share of viewers than ITV and C4 (surprise, surprise: people are not as interested in celebrity tantrums and car chases as they are in a traditional rural way of life). Most importantly from our perspective is that many people are contacting me wanting to know about how to make baskets, lip salves and hurdles etc. and how, generically, they can employ some of those skills/products in their everyday lives. I'm being asked by the BBC what a follow up series should include and I'm pushing traditional crafts and skills as a core aspect - I'll keep you posted."

Well now, that's excellent news! More of this please (and as others have said, the more practical useful stuff the better)

I could list 100 useful skills that would I'm sure make fascinating viewing - a few of which I've tried to "resurrect" myself - and wow its not easy (even with old texts to work from)

I really hope this shows an entire new avenue of useful, interesting television!!

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE