The user map

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
Hello.

We have a user map, and it spured on a thought that we should have a similar map but to designate points of bushcraft interest such as bushcraft schools, woodlands, etc.

Each different type of area should have a different coloured dot.
IE. Schools = Red Dot
Woodland = Brown Dot
Forest = Green Dot

An idea of how it could work is you first click add new position and then click the area.
Then when Your happy you click submit.

Then a form comes up and you click on a checkbox of what that area is (School, Forest, Woodland). This will decide the colour of the dot.
The you could have an area for the name of the area
The address
Whats allowed and whats not (such as fires, chopping wood)
Then a description of the area.

Just my 2p :D

Emdiesse

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
Emdiesse said:
Just my 2p :D

i think you mean just my
2p.jpg

i think that was the original idea with the map.. and there have been a few attempts ate making lists of bushcrafting places.. but they are few and far between.. its a good idea to add schools though and you will notice woodlore is already there...!!

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
Yeah. Thats what i meant.

We could even use the current map, however it would be great to colour code it and even make it so that the inputs vary depending on what it is.

You could have locations of:

Fellow Bushcrafter's = Yellow Dot
Schools = Red Dot
Locations = Green Dot
Shops = Blue Dot
etc :D

Then if they click school and submit a form comes up and they enter maybe these feilds:
Name: "Name of School"
Courses: "Courses the School do"
etc...

Whereas if they click location and submit then they have a form that is entirely different, such as:
Name: "Name of Place"
Allows: "What the location allows (such as if your allowed fires there)"
Disallows "The oppisite of above"
etc...

:D

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
TheViking said:
Not a bad suggestion. :biggthump Now it's up to the admins and mods to decide... :shock: :eek:):
And then put in the hours doing the work to make it happen... :wink:

(It's not simply a mattter of just deciding!)

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
Yeah i suppose it would be alot of hard work. Your right!
Better start early then :wink: ....Only joking :eek:): :nana:
Anyway. No worrys, just a suggestion i had :D

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
Hey the map's not my baby anyway. :-D Giancarlo's done a great job with the map! :super: :super:

I think it's a good idea :biggthump and I know the mods and admins will give your idea good consideration before deciding. My only point is that there's more to it than just that. I know these things can appear like they're only a couple of clicks to do and hey presto it's done - but it's just not the case. :wink:

giancarlo

Oct 5, 2003
Jersey, Channel Islands
cheers guys, that was the original plan for the map, to add schools , locations etc,
I did add Woodlore on there as an example, but only recently removed it since it wasn't fair being the only one there.

Still looking at all this, but i thought a "world map" was higher on the priority list.
Saying that, it's still a bit job... but i guess it's not going to do it itself... even with all my wishfull thinking :)

we'll see how it goes

cheers ;)

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
Kath said:
Hey the map's not my baby anyway. :-D Giancarlo's done a great job with the map! :super: :super:

I think it's a good idea :biggthump and I know the mods and admins will give your idea good consideration before deciding. My only point is that there's more to it than just that. I know these things can appear like they're only a couple of clicks to do and hey presto it's done - but it's just not the case. :wink:

Yeah. I know that things appear like there just a click and there not.
I'm trying to learn C++, i wish it was a click away like the executables it produces, lol.

Emdiesse

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
Giancarlo said:
cheers guys, that was the original plan for the map, to add schools , locations etc,
I did add Woodlore on there as an example, but only recently removed it since it wasn't fair being the only one there.

Still looking at all this, but i thought a "world map" was higher on the priority list.
Saying that, it's still a bit job... but i guess it's not going to do it itself... even with all my wishfull thinking :)

we'll see how it goes

cheers ;)
:You_Rock_

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE