The Ultimate "What is this Fungi?" thread.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
20210819_204320.jpg

I'm thinking it's probably a summer bolete too now, no staining when cut, smells lovely and nutty, I gave it a little nibble to rule out bitter bolete, it tasted like hazelnuts and scrambled egg, so that just leaves me with summer bolete and cep

Reactions: slowworm

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Just to add to this, upon further research the summer bolete regularly cracks on the cap, and the net is known to turn from white at the top of the stem and get darker towards the base, whereas cep seems to stay whiter towards the base. Hopefully that makes sense!

Polecatsteve

Nomad
Aug 20, 2014
Scotland
Hey folks. That time of year when I start spotting lots of shrooms I’d like to know what they are.

Any ideas?
1)

Growing from a rotting log

2)

in open woodland (pine)

3)

Growing by the dozen in open ground

And finally this. Not sure if it’s the same as 3 but looks slightly different.

4)

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
Are these Porcelain Fungus (Oudemansiella mucida)? They were very slimy and growing on Beech.
20211015-180730-1.jpg

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
If it helps, I'm pretty sure I've seen them for the first time this week myself on beech too. Easiest to ID if you get an above and below pick too. They should have a kind of translucent layer to the cap if you look underneath.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
It was getting dark and my phone was struggling but I'll be back that way tomorrow and will double check. I don't plan on eating them or anything but I'd like to get some better photos. You can kind of see the translucence in this photo though.
20211015-180734-1.jpg

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Looks likely to be velvet shanks. Good edible and common this time of year. However, cross reference with funeral bells which are toxic. The key identifier is the stem.

Reactions: Machiavelli

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
If it's near conifer it will be Cauliflower Fungus (Sparassis crispa) - edible, clean carefully, then let it dry before frying in butter.

Thanks Broch - I did wonder if it was that but I'm a self doubting sort.

Normally I'd jump in and try it but I suspect this is Latrine central for the local Dog walkers.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE