The Ultimate "What is this Fungi?" thread.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Cheers matey! Otzi carried some of those apparently! So edible but bitter! Easily recognisable once you know what it is eh! Won't forget that in a hurry! :)

Never heard it as being edible. But it will make an ember extender when dry. And you can peel it to make plasters, it apparently has antibacterial properties.

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Don't go eating them though without positive ID as they can be confused with a few smaller species that can cause gastric upsets. You need to take into consideration where they are growing, what they are growing on, size smell texture etc. The nice edible ones grow between 10 and 25cm across when fully open.

If none were wider than about 15cm and when cut turns quickly from white to pink then brown, and a hollow stem then its most likely to be a shaggy parasol. These can be eaten but need to be cooked well and are not as good as the Parasol.

Small things that look like parasols can do worse than cause gastric upsets. There are two small lepiotas that will kill you. Great care must be taken with anything that looks like a "small parasol."

thorpey0

Aug 28, 2012
Durham
Could someone please help identify these? Thanks

Is the first one Amanita rubescens, The Blusher?
photo2_zpsbb990d13.jpg

photo3_zps23138a77.jpg

photo1_zps4592d343.jpg

Last edited:

thorpey0

Aug 28, 2012
Durham
And these as well please, new to this so rather than guessing and getting it wrong.....

But, is the first one Chanterelle?

photo2154427_zps848d9fb9.jpg

second, Suillus bovinus?
photo1154427_zps8bbbd722.jpg

photo3154427_zps4cebbd92.jpg

photo4_zps552207ba.jpg

photo5_zps2d30ea9a.jpg

Thanks again,

Last edited:

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
Sulphur Tufts?
IMG_0294-1024x682.jpg

This looks different... but I thought it was sulphur tuft at the time I found it
IMG_0286-1024x682.jpg

Is this a Red-cracked Bolete?
IMG_0289-1024x682.jpg

IMG_0291-1024x682.jpg

IMG_0292-1024x682.jpg

I thought maybe thius was a brown roll rim - but then I saw it has no gills?
IMG_0295-1024x682.jpg

A Young Beefsteak Fungus?
IMG_0303-1024x682.jpg

Last edited:

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
A few yesterday.....
DD cupuis ?
agyvetyp.jpg

agadysy7.jpg

Camoflaguris wydegillitas ?
ybu4u2ah.jpg

vyjyde8y.jpg

Woodhog funginot ?
za3ezeqy.jpg

u3u3u5y4.jpg

a6u2azu9.jpg

Nonwittusnamicus ?
7adere9y.jpg

a7ajeqam.jpg

Dozens of these....
Missedopertuntia ?
ahedugy7.jpg

9yqujuse.jpg

Alzheimerapratis ? (forgot where I put my book :( )
2y6ygamy.jpg

re8ebate.jpg

Smelt nice...
uvama7ag.jpg

veryquby.jpg

uta2etyt.jpg

2u4umy9e.jpg

Accidentally beheaded it :(
e2yququz.jpg

cheers as usual :cool:

eggs shouldn't dance with stones.....

Ecoman

Sep 18, 2013
Isle of Arran
www.HPOC.co.uk
Small things that look like parasols can do worse than cause gastric upsets. There are two small lepiotas that will kill you. Great care must be taken with anything that looks like a "small parasol."

Absolutely agree. I wouldn't expect anyone silly enough to actually pick and eat something from a prognosis based on a couple of pictures on a forum. I have a limited knowledge of foraging for mushrooms compared to a mycologist. There are times I look at mushrooms I deem edible but if something is not quite right, they are growing in the wrong place or I can't 100% make a judgement then I will walk away to forage another day. When it comes to mushrooms you have to be 100% sure or not at all. There can be no grey area IMO.

From the photos posted by mountainm I would say that they were shaggy parasols but unless I was there to see their actual scale, smell, texture and colour change when cut etc. I would not recommend eating them (as I had mentioned earlier in the post). I have seen some of the Lepiotas you have mentioned and although one of them is similar the cap pattern isn't as pronounced it is also far smaller so I dismissed them.

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Been a disappointing season to date round my neck of the woods, and indeed in the New Forest a few weeks ago when I was camping there early August and again earlier this month, but after the recent rain, misty mornings and warmth I had a feeling it might be worth another look today :D

A mixture of ceps, orange birch boletes and oak boletes.

That should see me through another year of risottos, pasta sauces and casseroles ;)

I only take what I am going to eat and always make sure to leave all the smaller immature ones and the overly mature ones also, of which there were a lot, to ensure there will be some another day. Seems to work as I've been going to the same area for the last fifteen years or so and it's still very productive in the right conditions :)

Cheers, Paul

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
I have no knowledge of fungi. I've looked through the internet etc this thread but can't find this one. It looks like something has taken a bite from it but I couldn't see any bite marks. It was on the edge of a copse of beech trees.
ry8e5ava.jpg
a7ynaqyr.jpg

Any ideas?

Sent via Tapatalk V2.0.3

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE