The Ultimate "What is this Fungi?" thread.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

s'étonner

Forager
Aug 19, 2010
Leicester, UK
Hey guys! :)

I found this whilst out running through some meadows this morning. I'm guessing that it's a giant puffball. Would that be correct?

It's probably worth noting that there were some tiny black bugs inside it. Would this still be edible?

Any advice greatly appreciated as I'm hungry! ;)

IMG_1678.jpg

IMG_1680.jpg

IMG_1676.jpg

Thank you for reading!

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
s'étonner;1107235 said:
Hey guys! :)

I found this whilst out running through some meadows this morning. I'm guessing that it's a giant puffball. Would that be correct?

It looks more like a Mosaic Puffball (Handkea utriformis).

It's probably worth noting that there were some tiny black bugs inside it. Would this still be edible?

Yes.

EarthToSimon

Forager
Feb 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
Found these all over the chopping block this morning, thought one was leafy brain but it's not shiny.

No idea with the other one. It's gills don't touch the stem if that helps.

Not wanting to eat them, just worried about them poisoning the dog :eek:

7168780523_370c3dddcd_c.jpg

7353992708_fd22824ef5_c.jpg

7353993142_4aeaf8440b_c.jpg

Iona

Nomad
Mar 11, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Urban X, Definitely not St Georges, wrong colour, stem, no inrolled cap, wrong cap texture and smell. Haven't time to do any research for you at the mo, but would recommend logging on to Wild About Britain fungi forum. They have a 'no edilbes' policy, but lots of incredibly knowledgable mycologists on there, and when something pops up in a grow bag it's always possible it's an interesting import... (eaqually possible it's common as muck!) And EarthToSimon, Lovely pics! Never heard of trooping crumble cap, every book and mycologist I've encountered would refer to Coprinellus disseminatus as Fairy inkcap. Is that a regional name?

Iona

Nomad
Mar 11, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Had to come back and look again, Urban X's mushrooms are on my mind! Throwing up real Hebeloma vibes for me, but there isn't one down to species level that ticks all the boxes... Was the stipe longer on the more mature ones? Definitely no radish or (disgusting) sickly sweet smell? Are they still there to see what one cut in half looks like? Knew I shouldn't have logged in. Now I have to know! :)

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Never heard of trooping crumble cap, every book and mycologist I've encountered would refer to Coprinellus disseminatus as Fairy inkcap. Is that a regional name?

Phillips, "Mushrooms" (2nd edition), page 260: "Fairy Inkcap or Trooping Crumble Cap"

:)

Listed as "Fairies Bonnets" in the 1st edition, IIRC.

Last edited:

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Had to come back and look again, Urban X's mushrooms are on my mind! Throwing up real Hebeloma vibes for me, but there isn't one down to species level that ticks all the boxes... Was the stipe longer on the more mature ones? Definitely no radish or (disgusting) sickly sweet smell? Are they still there to see what one cut in half looks like? Knew I shouldn't have logged in. Now I have to know! :)

I also thought it looked like a Hebeloma, but I think they're normally mycorrhizal.

Iona

Nomad
Mar 11, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Normally I'd agree, but grow bags often throw up interesting things! And normally mushrooms don't read the bloody mushroom books ;)And the names thing is interesting isn't it? Phillips was my first book years ago, still have it but not looked at it in forever as I'm a Sterry and Hughes convert, and the new Buckzaki is in the post! I think that's why I prefer the Latin, the folklore in the English names is fun, but they do cause confusion... Bonnets are mycena surely! And Fly agarics aren't agaricus... And what to me was always a 'yellow leg' some call a trumpet chanterelle... I'll stick with my Roman gobbledygook I think :D

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Normally I'd agree, but grow bags often throw up interesting things! And normally mushrooms don't read the bloody mushroom books ;)And the names thing is interesting isn't it? Phillips was my first book years ago, still have it but not looked at it in forever as I'm a Sterry and Hughes convert,

I think they complement each other. I need both of them.

and the new Buckzaki is in the post!

I will check that out.

I think that's why I prefer the Latin, the folklore in the English names is fun, but they do cause confusion... Bonnets are mycena surely! And Fly agarics aren't agaricus... And what to me was always a 'yellow leg' some call a trumpet chanterelle... I'll stick with my Roman gobbledygook I think :D

Again, I think I need both! :)

Mad Mike

Nomad
Nov 25, 2005
Maidstone
Found yesterday, a big fairy ring in a big lawn

Godd01.jpg

Closer

Godd02.jpg

The gardener said I could pick

Godd03.jpg

It opened up overnight

Godd04.jpg

Godd05.jpg

50m away under trees

Godd07.jpg

Godd08.jpg

I have managed to confuse myself between a few books. Could someone please try an ID

Mike

Iona

Nomad
Mar 11, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Wow! Lovely pics! I'd go for almost def horse mushrooms on the first lot, but the smell and a decent shot of the underside of the ring would clinch it... smells are really important in this genus and will help you ID any dodgy ones.

The second lot were a bit removed, different habitat, longer stipes... I'd love some more info! Can you cut one in half for us? And let us know of any smells... :)

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Here's some fungus pics from a walk today in the Wye Valley.

As found growing (there were others that I left). I was pretty confident of them being Agaricus, but did a volva check anyway. No volva.
IMGP1528.jpg IMGP1529.jpgIMGP1530.jpg

This one was probably just a younger specimen, but something about it said Death Cap to me, and as it was not opened, I left it.
IMGP1531.jpg

I took three. My initial guess was Agaricus augustus, The Prince, based on the rugose caps, but that isn't a species I've seen before.
IMGP1532.jpg

I separated the stems from the caps for ease of carrying the caps, and then split the stems with a knife. They stained yellow in blotches down the stem, but not entirely. I don't know if the picture shows this.
IMGP1533.jpg IMGP1534.jpg

I also split one of the caps. No yellow staining at all. One of the other caps was faintly red-tinged where it had been slug damaged, and was the older cap.
IMGP1535.jpg

Based on subsequently looking it up in Phillips, I'm fairly confident that it is indeed The Prince (Red tinged with age, rugose cap, stem blotches yellow, habitat and season correct) but any opinions on here would be welcome. Any responsibility for eating them remains my own.

Mad Mike

Nomad
Nov 25, 2005
Maidstone
Wow! Lovely pics! I'd go for almost def horse mushrooms on the first lot, but the smell and a decent shot of the underside of the ring would clinch it... smells are really important in this genus and will help you ID any dodgy ones.

The second lot were a bit removed, different habitat, longer stipes... I'd love some more info! Can you cut one in half for us? And let us know of any smells... :)

OK the 2nd lot smelled just like shop bought field mushroom - got stronger as they aged - sorry too far gone to cut in half today.

1st big one no particular smell (hay fever doesn't help) Pictures just taken

godd10.jpg

& in half - a couple of maggots in the stem

godd11.jpg

hope this helps

Mike

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
I agree with Iona that the first ones are probably horse mushrooms, although this genus is tricky and smells are needed to be sure. They might also be Agaricus urinascens, which is larger and much less common...and smells different.

The others are certainly NOT A. augustus. They look like one of the phenol-tainted, yellow-staining members of the genus, probably A. moelleri. These smell like TCP.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE