The Ultimate "What is this Fungi?" thread.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
St Georges mushroom?? I'm pretty confident with this.....
1f6852d0-8041-a04c.jpg

1f6852d0-807b-693f.jpg

1f6852d0-80b0-5ae4.jpg

Growing in pairs and small clumps. I field edge banking with ash, elder, and hawthorn.
1f6852d0-815a-0977.jpg

Sent from my HTC Explorer using Tapatalk 2

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Yes, agreed they look like St Georges. The smell is always the clincher as previous poster says. I've been eating loads of these this weekend.
Thank you.
Great if tha knows what meal smells like lol. I have cross referenced them between 4 books and they've been scoffed. I beautiful.
...... Failed dogger and alleged bigot!

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I fried some up with garlic, smoked bacon, a turkey egg, and some tarragon tonight. Lovely.

Whilst I think of it, anyone have any idea what this is? Grassland fungus, in long grass. My hands gives an idea of size, cap is 1.5inches across, spore print is brown. There were quite a few of them scattered about.
IMGP0845.jpgIMGP0846.jpg

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
I fried some up with garlic, smoked bacon, a turkey egg, and some tarragon tonight. Lovely.

Whilst I think of it, anyone have any idea what this is? Grassland fungus, in long grass. My hands gives an idea of size, cap is 1.5inches across, spore print is brown. There were quite a few of them scattered about.
View attachment 10146View attachment 10147

That's an Agrocybe, not sure which one but maybe pediades or paludosa.

Last edited:

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Right, you lot are getting me quite cross. Last year I moved to the very lovely country of wales and its ample not so lovely rain, and have failed to fine a single st georges, however i will tell anyone that PMs me where my best spots were in stoke on trent,so i can get sit at home getting yet more cross at not eating any while someone esle gets a tasty tea.

humph!!!

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Most "pickled" mushrooms I have seen have been in oil. however I got false truffles from my allotment a few years ago, and I put them in oil, they started bubbleing and they smelt like rotting stilton. i have kept one jar but just as specium, not as food. I doubt they are edible.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Most "pickled" mushrooms I have seen have been in oil. however I got false truffles from my allotment a few years ago, and I put them in oil, they started bubbleing and they smelt like rotting stilton. i have kept one jar but just as specium, not as food. I doubt they are edible.
I did something similar with garlic once. Apparently, I should have blanched the cloves first or scalded them with steam. I'm not sure how well most mushrooms would stand up to that though - any ideas?

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
That's why you are supposed to choose quite tough varieties of mushroom for pickling (supposedly). St George's are pretty tough.

I can't work out whether I'm supposed to boil them, blanch them or salt them but not cook them before pickling.

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Anyone tried pickling St George's before, or has anyone got general advice on pickling wild mushrooms?

We scoffed them last week, beautiful.. I'm going looking for more tomorrow.. We had them with chicken.... Gorgeous :thumbup:

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Try walking old railway cuttings that are now paths, :thumbup:
Growing by willow and hawthorn on ashy soil...
b2688e4d-b5df-5627.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE