The Ultimate "What is this Fungi?" thread.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Okay, I'm fairly sure I've answered my own question and that this is Flammulina velutipes, or Velvet Shank. I was led astray a bit by the really bright colouration but I now understand they darken with age, meaning this is a fairly young specimen.

Yep, I told you to look out for them. And your picture shows very well how they got their name. Not usual to see one on its own, but I think this is the first picture I've seen of this species at all this winter. I haven't found any.

BTW, if you haven't already, look up "enokitake." :)

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I saw some, they looked like they only just came out. it is odd to see one in its own. i'll dig out the picture

not the picture from this week but last year
DSC00630.jpg

Last edited:

red devil

Forager
Dec 1, 2010
South of Glasgow
Yep, I told you to look out for them. And your picture shows very well how they got their name. Not usual to see one on its own, but I think this is the first picture I've seen of this species at all this winter. I haven't found any.

BTW, if you haven't already, look up "enokitake." :)

Geoff, that's fascinating about enokitake, thanks for the heads-up.
It was the only Velvet Shank I saw all day - loads of Scarlet Elf Cups and various brackets, though.
:)

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
The bottom piccy is jelly ears.

I object to that stupid name. The traditional English name is a direct translation of its latin name: "Jew's ear."

Sorry, but I can't stand language-vandalising political correctness. There is nothing offensive about this name. It refers to the type of tree the species usually grows on, and a story from the Bible.

red devil

Forager
Dec 1, 2010
South of Glasgow
Hiya guys,
I was wondering if anyone can confirm which fungi this is?
I was fairly sure it's Oyster mushroom, but as there are several varieties I'm not 100% sure which variant. It was found in beech woods at Cathkin Braes, near Carmunnock, Glasgow earlier today.
20120310152357.th.jpg
[/URL] [/IMG]
The colour of the cap is a pale brown while the long gills are creamy white, and there's no noticeable stipe but the gills do run deep down to the base of each fruit.
It didn't have any discernible smell, just the faint earthy mushroom smell.
I'd guess the size was about 6-8ins across on the largest.
Hope someone can help,
Cheers,
Steve

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
I'm not sure what it is either. Have posted some links at the ABFG. The red droplets suggest maybe a beefsteak fungus, but I'm not convinced by that ID either. If it is a slime mould then it is truly ginormous.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Cheers gents, I will try to get some more pics and maybe remove a slice ? I don't want to damage it if it is rare. Cheers again....top lads

sent using my sausage thumb

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE