The Ultimate "What is this Fungi?" thread.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Thank you very much. In my searches I had come to the "conclusion" it was Amanita virosa. What are the main differences that you see or am I just so wide of the mark it's irrelevant?

Yes and no. This mushroom is closely related to something called a Paddy Straw Mushroom, which is cultivated in Asia and popular in Chinese cookery. And unfortunately it does look rather similar to a death cap (Amanita phalloides), resulting in some fatal mix-ups. Amanita virosa is brilliant white, and therefore not often confused with non-white mushrooms, although your specimen was whiter than most for that species. They belong to different families as well a genera (Amanitaceae and Plutaceae), but the two families are distant relatives.

The most striking difference, apart from the colour, is that the Volvariellas have no ring and the deadly Amanitas have large, pendulous rings. The habitat is also totally different - the amanitas are symbiotic with trees whereas V. gloiocephala is one of the few fungi that grows in bare fields.

Put it this way: if you come across A. virosa then I suspect you'll know immediately what you've found. It's a pretty impressive mushroom, usually at least.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Hi Geoff, here's one that I really would like your opinion on. Is this Wrinkled Peach? If so, what is the scientific name for it because it isn't in my book. If not, any idea what it is? I don't know what the wood is as it was just a stump, but it was in a hedgerow with hazel, hawthorn, birch and oak, on the edge of the Black Mountains, in upland terrain. I understand wrinkled peach to be associated with dead elm, which is by no means impossible in the area. There is certainly wych elm in abundance.

Opinions appreciated.

15063051624_40cafa2edd_b.jpg

Thank you.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Anyone care to have a stab at these?

We went for a stroll through our local woods (via a pub). There was a multitude of shrooms to be spotted right on the path. Along with the ubiquitous birch poly-pore there were some familiar faces, some less so.

attachment.php

Lots of these - not sure what they are
attachment.php

Close up
attachment.php

Another angle

attachment.php

These were all over the place too - not ID'd them yet

attachment.php

Honey fungus(?) - it was everywhere

attachment.php

Something purple - a few of these

attachment.php

Showing the underside

attachment.php

Horsehoof loved this tree

attachment.php

My Boys found these monsters - horse hoof fungus again

attachment.php

Parasol

attachment.php

ink caps

attachment.php

Not sure on this one

OurCwOe.png

An unknown pink one

kMapOvj.png

Lovely colour on these.

attachment.php

And a fly agaric

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
1,2,3 Horse Mushroom
4 some sort of inkcap
5 no, sulphur tuft
6 a russula
7 another russula
10 no, shaggy parasol
11 shaggy inkcap
12 the blusher
13 another russula, probably
14 spectacular rustgill

Jun 29, 2011
Lincolnshire
Yes and no. This mushroom is closely related to something called a Paddy Straw Mushroom, which is cultivated in Asia and popular in Chinese cookery. And unfortunately it does look rather similar to a death cap (Amanita phalloides), resulting in some fatal mix-ups. Amanita virosa is brilliant white, and therefore not often confused with non-white mushrooms, although your specimen was whiter than most for that species. They belong to different families as well a genera (Amanitaceae and Plutaceae), but the two families are distant relatives.

The most striking difference, apart from the colour, is that the Volvariellas have no ring and the deadly Amanitas have large, pendulous rings. The habitat is also totally different - the amanitas are symbiotic with trees whereas V. gloiocephala is one of the few fungi that grows in bare fields.

Put it this way: if you come across A. virosa then I suspect you'll know immediately what you've found. It's a pretty impressive mushroom, usually at least.

Brilliant, thank you again, it's very much appreciated!

xavierdoc

Apr 5, 2006
SW Wales
What an excellent thread.

Ive had some great Parasols and common puff balls this year. Also a few "field" mushrooms.

In the past I have enjoyed Ceps, Chantarelles and beef-steak ("enjoyed"?!). Need to work on my fungi-fu before venturing to other species. Usual rule applies (if in doubt, miss it out) so most fungi go uneaten.

xavierdoc

Apr 5, 2006
SW Wales
I found these last week. Deciduous woodland: beech, oak, holly etc.

They were all over the place in groups, though not a typical "ring".

The cap was a bit slimy but it has been v wet here.

I thought they might be Collybia dryophyla or Russet Tough Shank?

The cap had a translucent, peelable layer:

Thanks in advance.

Xav

xavierdoc

Apr 5, 2006
SW Wales
Here's one from the garden. They appear to growing on a grassy bank, but it's possible there is dead wood or an old stump under the soil:

Smell is mushroomy. No exudate from cut surface. The hole in the knife is 13mm

I thought it was probably Hypholoma fasciculare aka Sulphur Tuft but I thought that grew on wood?

xavierdoc

Apr 5, 2006
SW Wales
"All over the place" is a giveaway. They're butter caps.

Thanks Geoff. I thought they looked like butter caps but they weren't under conifers and the russet toughshank looks so similar, is also gregarious but fitted the habitat better.

I'll have to have another look!

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
I saw a load of butter caps today growing in grass in a cemetery. Great big fat ones. They do particularly like coniferous woodland, but they are saprophytes rather than symbiotic and they can turn up in all sorts of places.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE