The Ultimate "What is this Fungi?" thread.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Lactarius, possibly deliciosus? Sorry there's no picture of the top, the one I took didn't focus.

lac1.jpg

lac2.jpg

Gabe

Forager
Aug 10, 2008
Bridgend, South Wales
Evening all. Managed an early finish today so took the dogs out for a stretch and found these. I have lent my mushroom guide to a friend and I'm struggling to ID these using websites.

Not the best photos sorry.
82792807278696abb159d6e91a97c101.jpg
0ad06343a6abc26a310cbd4f80f6ee7a.jpg
b7cdb8e33f57205e528ae28bd470fc32.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Billy1

Forager
Dec 31, 2012
Norwich
Hi, was just hoping that someone could give me some more info on shaggy ink caps please? I'm am 99% certain I can identify them but would like to be 100%...

1) Is the magpie ink cap the only poisonous look-alike? (I'm also aware of the common ink cap which can't be consumed with alchohol).

2) I have heard that it can also resemble some other species when young. Does this include anything poisonous?

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Hi, was just hoping that someone could give me some more info on shaggy ink caps please? I'm am 99% certain I can identify them but would like to be 100%...

1) Is the magpie ink cap the only poisonous look-alike? (I'm also aware of the common ink cap which can't be consumed with alchohol).

2) I have heard that it can also resemble some other species when young. Does this include anything poisonous?

I can't think of anything poisonous you can get shaggy inkcaps confused with.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk

As a habit, 99% isn't good enough. 100% or you don't eat it.

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Looks like Pleurotus ostreatus var columbinus gone a bit mouldy.

But probably not. Sounds like a trick posting though - like the photo wasn't taken in the UK, or these are cultivated. Not enough information, no shot of the underside, etc...

Last edited:

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Yes, they're cultivated. Home grown Shiitake.

And I wondered if they've ever grown wild in the UK as so many people grow them these days and they seem quite virulent?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE